keggin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themashedone

Reaction score
Ok I have kegged one beer so far and i am running into an issue where my dispensing pressure keeps building i am not using my tank to dispense i am using a cartridge hook up then just taking it off. its a real pain in the arse to have to release pressure then poor that and it is slowly taking my carbonation along with the dissipated pressure. Whatever should i do. I know im making a mistake somewhere.

My regulator i got for free its new but geared more for higher pressures so till i get a better one it will work for forced carbonation. or is this the reason i am having a problem

Geared for higher pressures? What are you calling "higher pressures"? Will it not maintain 10-12 psi?

well i can more closely set it to 30 psi then trying to set at 3 to 5 its very in accurate at low pressure

Yea, man. I'm sure this is your problem. Do it right and spend $50-60 on a regulator. It'll save you money in the not-so long run.

what im worried about is if i get a new regulator set it for 5 at dispensing and the keg builds pressure like it is currently doing i dont want the beer to scoot up the gas line and into my regulator

Most regulators come with a backflow prevention in the barb to prevent this.
BTW, just leave it at carbing pressure, no need to drop it to 5 to serve. Set it at 9-14 and leave it (depending on style).
I would also put money on the issue of the backpressure building because of your regulator as well. Does it have a set screw? Is the keg in a fridge? Is there a leak in the line, the poppet or the body connect?

(Trying to diagnose your pressure issue here)

all gaskets on my keg have been replaced and lubed. my process is refrigerate beer one day to 38 degrees (optimal temp for co2 absorption) connect gas at 30 psi. thats what i was told to use. roll the keg for a while till the thumping goes away. return upright release excess pressure in keg then reconnect at 3 to 5 psi then store away for a day and u should be good. at least this was my practice.

Maybe try the set and forget and see your results. Set it to 12 and leave it for a week. This is my method. O, and it has to stay in the fridge the whole time. You can't take it out after the 30 bump. All of this is cause for issues. If you are having none, no need to change. Since you are having some, try the basic method.

Maybe try the set and forget and see your results. Set it to 12 and leave it for a week. This is my method. O, and it has to stay in the fridge the whole time. You can't take it out after the 30 bump. All of this is cause for issues. If you are having none, no need to change. Since you are having some, try the basic method.

+1

Anytime you change pressure or move the keg or change temps you will have a variance in pressure. Your best bet is to try to set the regulator at ~10 psi with the keg in the fridge. Give a day. Then check it and make a small adustment to the regulator if needed. Your regulator may be a little difficult to dial in, but it should still maintain the set pressure.

Back