Taking my keg on Summer Vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trderr

Reaction score
OK folks. Some great advice out there about kegging and traveling. Here is my situation/plan.

I have a nice Dead Guy Clone dry hopping now and a Citra Summer Wheat ready in about 4 days. I want to keg one of them and take them for summer vacation. We are traveling about 7 hours, staying for 4 days, and then 5 more hours to our final/real destination.

I have a 2.5 gal ball lock keg and what I want to do is to keg a beer and hook it up to the CO2, but not chill it. Right before I go, I will release a little CO2 and then hit the road. I will then travel with it and keep it relatively cool to location 1 and then back in the basement until we leave for location 2. When I get to location 2, I will hook it back up to the CO2 and chill/settle for 2-3 hours before tapping. I don't want to tap it at Location 1.

Any thoughts on my plan? If I can't keg the Citra Wheat until 12 hours before I go, is that too late? Should I keg the Dead Guy now and then be ready to travel?

Would love any thoughts. My preference is to bottle the Rogue and keg the wheat.

Back