Sour Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I have brewed the Northern Brewer Od Bruin De Table

So the kit says bottle in 2-12 months. I brewed this about a month ago and am going to be out of town for four months.

Do you think that 5 months is long enough or should I go ahead and wait an extra month?

I dont want to end up with bottlebombs

How low does the roeselare blend go?

This is my first sour.

bumping a thread 2 hours old?

taste it, get gravity.

it taste good? it gravity stable? it bottle.

It depends on the kit, really. I believe the sour blend is best left undisturbed for at least 5 months. Many will tell you to leave it for a year and forget about it. The yeast strains and various bacteria will all go to work at different time intervals. If you have some food for the bacteria to eat after the Belgian and sherry yeasts do the initial ferment, they will lower the wort pH and begin souring the beer. The Brett will go to work on the unfermentables the saccharomyces couldn't digest, and they can be very slow and super-attenuating. The SG should go down to 1.005 or lower before you bottle this. I don't think leaving it for a long time will do it anything but good!

Just checked the Northern Brewer Instruction sheet for the Oud Bruin de Table and it says bottling day is 1-3 years after brewing day, so I think you're in for the long haul.

I knew it was going to take "quite some time", just didnt think that long:eek:

Its been in a bucket for 1 month. Recon I should put it in a 5-gallon carboy and forget it for at least another 11 months. Man, thats a long wait. Good thing I am out of town for at least 4 months. Ill have to taste it when I get home, you know, for the experience:mug:

Kind of :off: but is it worth trying to harvest this blend or would I be better off buying a new pack if/when I want to do another?

I'd definitely put it in a carboy and try to seal it up. Try to transfer as much of the trub as possible (good food for the microorganisms). I'd also taste it, but at 2 or three month intervals, and only if you don't have to break the pellicle that will probably have formed when you return. The Brett will likely form a white cap on the beer in response to any oxygen in the headspace. This will protect the beer from oxygen which could allow acetobacter to multiply and cause too much vinegary flavor. Some is desirable in this style, but too much will result in vinegar. That's why I'd limit the tastings, but hey, you have to measure the gravity at some point.

When you get back, make sure the airlock has water (or your liquid of choice) in it.

Thanks all, I'll have to go buy another carboy. I dont own any 5-gallon carboys. Exelent excuse to get one.:mug:

I racked my sour to my new 5 gallon carboy. When I opened the bucket the pellicle had started to form. I dont want to sound noobish but will the pellicle reform on top or did I screw the pooch?

it is however starting to get sour:)

We are still in the secondary and still have a pellicle. My next question, is this brew going to taste better cold with carbonation? As of right now it tastes quite funky and I dont know if I like it. I guess this what I get for brewing a sour before I ever tried one.

Back