cutting a 15 gal sankey down to 10 gal mark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has ever cut a 15 gallon sankey key down to the 10 gallon mark, or anywhere lower than the skirt - clean in half.

I'm building a small rig in my basement and only plan on doing 5 gallon batches. I have another 8 gallon vessel but I think I'll use it as my MLT instead of BK as to not risk boil overs. This will be an electric 2 vessel system (no sparge / continuous recirc from BK to MLT).

The main problem that I see with this is having a BK with a huge diameter thus increasing the boil off rate but I guess I'd get that with a keggle anyways.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rob

I've boiled over 7 gallons in my 15 gallon keg so I don't know why you'd purposely increase the risk if you don't have to. I suppose cutting just below the top weld would get you a lower profile and still maintain like 14.5 gallon capacity.

During the first 5 gallon batch with my keggle, I was amazed to see foam near the rim. I haven't had a boil over yet, but I have reached for the spray bottle a time or two. I wouldn't cut my volume down if you don't have to!

Thanks guys, I guess it's a unanimous decision!

The only other reason I'd cut a keg like this would be for a MLT to reduce head space, which is what I was originally thinking of doing. Then I realised I should have a larger BK, and switched them around.

Back