Storing spent grains for making bread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DlALTONE

Reaction score
How do I store spent grains? I am guessing that I dry them out, than store them in an airtight container. Will they store properly? Anything else I should consider? Thanks

Freezer. If you don't lactobasillus will take over in about an hour and it will be a slimy stinky mess. In fact there's a sigline quote about me and Llama Spit, which is all about my experience with spent grain and Llamas.

I once got nearly attacted by a pack of LLamas for trying to feed them few days old, stored in the freezer, spent grain, that started to thaw on the hour drive in the summer.

I almost died, I swear......

I put two cups in a ziploc sandwich bag straight out of the mash and toss them in the freezer. I let it cool for a little so it doesn't make my freezer work too hard but they freeze up and then the night before I am going to make bread I throw a bag in the fridge and the next day it is thawed and ready to go.

Latest posts

Back