Dr. Pepper Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I taste neither prune nor plum in Doctor Pepper, I get something closer to cherry out of there though.

It doesn't taste anything like prune either.

I taste neither prune nor plum in Doctor Pepper, I get something closer to cherry out of there though.

Prune juice resembles Dr. Pepper to me, although not as much as a rotten brown cherry does. The common characteristic is the flavor of oxidized fruit therefore, maybe , raisin juice should work, almost as well. If you add a little bitter almond extract (benzaldehyde) to either prune or raisin juice, they will taste more like a rotten brown cherry or Dr. Pepper.

um, you can. Sunsweet PlumSmart, among others.

Thanks. I never noticed it on any supermarket shelf. I will look for it.

I apologize to revive an older thread, but did anyone make progress on a fairly close recipe?

It sounded interesting to me too. :) I want to see what it does without any clarifiers first. I can do the unflavored gelatin thing if I need to. I've also got baking splenda on hand to back-sweeten, though that gets a little pricey. I'll probably back-sweeten with table sugar, and then bottle pasteurize immediately thereafter.

I did the second batch of the Dr. Pepper clone today. It was closer. Reduced the black cherry juice a great deal, and made the other changes to flavoring brands I talked about earlier. Recipe as follows:

1/2 cup black cherry juice. Just Black Cherry, R.W. Knudsen Family brand.
2 quarts filtered water. My tap water tastes bad, hence the filtered.
1 cup granulated sugar.
2 tbs molasses. Grandma's original, unsulphured.
1/4 tsp rum flavoring. Kroger imitation rum extract.
1/4 cup lemon juice. ReaLemon 100% juice.
2 tsp vanilla extract. I used really cheap imitation vanilla extract.
1/4 tsp almond extract. Great Value Pure Almond Extract.

It's still missing something. I'm fairly confident that what it is missing is kola.

The molasses flavor is still to strong, I'll cut the molasses down in the next batch.

I know this is an old thread but I adapted the recipe above into a flavor syrup with the following changes

I substituted tart cherry for black cherry juice because I had it on hand
upped the almond extract to 1 1/4 tsp McCormick Pure Almond Extract
and added:
1 oz amaretto Lazzaroni Amaretto
1/4 tsp bitter almond oil Lorann Oils this is probably close to 20 years old but it seems to be good still

Directions:

1. Mix first 6 ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan and cook until mostly clear.

2. Add last 3 ingredients mix thoroughly

3. Enjoy at a 1:5 Syrup/Soda ratio (or to taste)

Back