Weird hydromter readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damien21

Reaction score
A little while ago I measured my brew with the hydrometer and it read.

OLD
Potential alcohol 4%
triple scale1.032

I took my readings today and got this.

NEW
potential alcohol 1%
triple scale 1.010

after each time using the hydrometer i tested it with water to make sure it was reading correctly and it seemed to be working fine.

can anyone explain my results? I'm baffled

A little while ago I measured my brew with the hydrometer and it read.

OLD
Potential alcohol 4%
triple scale1.032

I took my readings today and got this.

NEW
potential alcohol 1%
triple scale 1.010

after each time using the hydrometer i tested it with water to make sure it was reading correctly and it seemed to be working fine.

can anyone explain my results? I'm baffled

Yes. Your first reading was 1.032. The second reading was 1.010. That means the beer fermented, as alcohol is lighter that water and so the reading decreases.

The potential alcohol % scale is virtually useless for beer brewers in situations like this- so please ignore that.

At the present time, your ABV is 2.89%. That's a bit low, but so is an original gravity (OG) of 1.032. Perhaps that reading was incorrect? A final reading of 1.010 is appropriate for beer, and seems to be correct.

Potential

Once a brew is fermented the potential has been realized. 4%-1% ~~ what yooper said.

Back