Wyeast 3068......the second coming!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
My first experience with 3068 and im highly impressed. I am using wyeast 3068 weinstephan for my hefe that i brewed the other day on 09-12. I pitched the yeast into almost 90 degree wort. I figured i would get more of those delicious flavors (which is what i was going for) if i pitched it at those high temps. That and i didnt want to wait for it to cool down. Anyway........within four hours it took off like a rocket ship and it was border line blowing over. I rigged a blow off and it was blowing off like crazy by that night. It cooled to room temp and continued to blow off for about a day then the krausen fell. Now two days into it the krausen has risen from the dead and is begining to blow off again. Its at a steady room temp 72-75 and smells amazing. Cant get over how well i think this yeast is performing. I highly highly highly recommend it for any hefe's.

Yeah it's great. There is legitimate debate about pitching temps with that yeast. Jamil pitches that yeast at 62 degrees and gets plenty of banana & clove.

That's a really high pitching temperature you did. I'd be curious to see how this turns in when it is done. You should update this thread with how it turns out at the end and maybe even your recipe....

Don't be scared, that is a high pitch temp but if the bulk of your fermentation took place at 72-75 it will be great, a banana bomb but great anyway! I love it fermented in the low 70s anything less and the banana fades too soon and I am left with too much clove for my tastes.

Just used this yeast for the first time. Used it in a BrewHouse American Wheat kit. It is bubbling away this morning, started when I was sleeping. My question, there is already a large yeast bed on the bottom. I thought this was a low attenuating yeast.

My question, there is already a large yeast bed on the bottom. I thought this was a low attenuating yeast.

I think you mean low flocculating not low attenuating. It doesn't flocculate well, but even so, some of the yeast will drop out of suspension. Whats at the bottom is probably a mix of cold break protiens and some yeast.

Not cold break protiens. These kits come ready to go, everything except the fermentation is done in the brewery. These are just super concentrated wort kits, fantastic things to be working with, super fast, very easy. Sorry, meant low floculation on that.

Back