split rhyzomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
ok, so i just recently planted my hope garden, cascade, nugget, and willamette all purchased from freshops.com

the cascade and nugget are growing nicely (about 24 in) and the willamette is starting of a little slower, but doing well.

here's my question, 2 of the hops had "buds" on opposing ends of the rhizome so i planted them horizontally with the buds toward the surface, as the instructions said. Each of those were roughly 6 in long.

what would happen if i were to cut those rhizomes in the middle and plant each 1/2 separately, would i effectively double my yield for each of those varieties?

You wouldn't double your yield, you'd be halving your rhizomes and essentially be starting over with new first years. You weren't getting two plants just because one rhizome had buds on both ends.

I think you would get two plants either way since I'm not sure if the connecting piece will stay alive or rot away. But if you split them you'll be able to
plant them further apart.

Kai

It's not a good idea to split rhizomes the first year. Initial growth is dependent on the energy stored in the rhizome and if you split one, you have as good a chance to have two deaders as two plants. Next Spring, you can dig up all the rhizomes you desire. I just wait until there are shoots a few feet from the original plant, then cut the root and move the shoot.

Back