Anyone in MD or DC area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother-in-law's down in Maryland/DC, College Park I think. I can't visualize Maryland's geography all that well, but if that's anywhere near you at all I can ask him for his favorite establishments; he's not a brewer (yet), but he knows good beer. :)

Treat yourself and take the metro into DC and go to the Brickskeller. You could spend days in there and not have the same beer twice! Literally the worlds largest beer selection!

Pumbaa said:
Budbo is in the Military, just about anything is a nice jump in pay for him :drunk:
Actually it will be less than I make now but more when adding retirement pay. The perception of the underpaid Military is an old one and only works for the junior enlisted guys.
I could never complain, between salary, housing allowance, food allowance, Flight pay, and aviation bonuses. I been doing pretty good.. The bummer is that there are thousands of Airline pilots out of work so my Dream of 15day work months and 150-200k a year has been shattered :(

I left as a E5 . . . .I was a junior enlisted guy making about 25% of what a air traffic controller in the world made . . . yes I'm a bit bitter about it :p

budbo said:
The perception of the underpaid Military is an old one and only works for the junior enlisted guys.

Woohoo, go E-3! Junior enlisted = always broke.
Anyhow, I'm stationed at Ft. Meade for Aschool and have been trying to get out to some brewpubs. Havnt really looked around for hbs since i have no way of brewing anything anyhow. Best place I've found so far is Fordhams in annapolis. havent made it too all that many so far so I'm sure there are better/more out there.

Well there are a few homebrew clubs in MD, but I've only been to BURP meetings. I've also been to the WortHogs meetings, but they are in VA. Although you'll find that the northern VA, DC, MD area is all close enough. Lot's of homebrewers out this way though. The only MD shop I've been to is Maryland Homebrew, seems to have most everything you would need from a homebrew shop. My only complaint would be that everything is covered in a fine grain dust since the mill is just in the middle of the shop and not covered in any way. I go to myLHBS, but that's in VA and probably a little far for you, but Derek is a good guy and knows his stuff.

Hm, as far as drinking establishments go, you might check out the Dogfish Head joint. Not real sure of the others up in MD, but I do know there are a few. In DC check out Brickskeller, RFD's, Pizza Paradiso (on M St.), Gordon Biersch, Cap City, etc. Also might check out Dr. Dremo's if you're into good beer dive bar thing.

DT

Not sure where Indian Head is in relation to "Civilized" Maryland, but I can tell you this:

I used to frequent Annapolis Home Brew all the time, which is a great, knowledgeable and very chill establishment- now, however, I live around the corner from Maryland Home Brew (seriously- I can walk there! But the walk back with a box full 'o carboy ain't so easy).

As far as drinkin' establishments? Call me up, we'll go into Fell's Point in Baltimore, and get heroically drunk. Annapolis is nice too, a bit more of a refined crowd, less of the "Woohoooooooo!" college girls. Which may not be an advantage.

We are looking at either moving to Waldorf MD (15 min commute) or Fairfax county (1.5ish hour commute).. The houses in VA are expensive as crap (but better schools) in Southern MD they are over priced but way cheaper.

budbo said:
We are looking at either moving to Waldorf MD (15 min commute) or Fairfax county (1.5ish hour commute).. The houses in VA are expensive as crap (but better schools) in Southern MD they are over priced but way cheaper.

Ha, yea welcome to the area. Fairfax prices are completely out of proportion. When they do those studies on the DC-Metro area, it's places like Fairfax, McLean, Great Falls, etc. that can really blow out the statistics. Luckily prices have become more stable lately and even gone down. It wasn't long ago people were offering $80k over asking price and waiving the home inspection...and still losing the bid.

If you moved to Fairfax, you'd be closer to those WortHogs meetings I mentioned before. There are also a couple of homebrew shops, myLHBS and Jays. Hard Times chili joint has good beer on tap, your close to Old Dominion Brewing, Shenandoah Brewing, and a number of other places. I don't know a whole lot of stuff in Waldorf, MD. Just driving through when going mountain biking, it didn't seem as nice as Fairfax...but the Wendy's had some good grub, ha.

DT

Back