Changes in my life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me Yoop, your relationship will only get stronger.

My kids finally acknowledged my supreme intelligence surrounding the meaning of life, the universe...and all that stuff, after they had moved out.

It appears I am not as big a dufus as they suggested I was when they were in high school :D

I second that. One of the proudest moments of my life was when I heard the words "Dad, I finally get it..."

Trust me Yoop, your relationship will only get stronger.

My kids finally acknowledged my supreme intelligence surrounding the meaning of life, the universe...and all that stuff, after they had moved out.

It appears I am not as big a dufus as they suggested I was when they were in high school :D

Mr. Muncher has a very good point there Yoop. You will be much better appreciated in the near future, even though you feel appreciated now! Every time I talk to my daughter on the phone we seem to end up going through how good we are together. You really do have a lot to look forward to after she has been away a while and has reflected a little on your relationship while you guys are apart. This is going to be a pleasant learning experience for you. You will hear things from her put somehow differently than if you were together all the time. It's not so much a separation from her as the final stage of the bonding process. :)

I know for my mother it was a difficult transition when I left. I'm the youngest (one older sister) and I moved nearly 2 1/2 hours away. Though it's not that far, it was far enough that it made me miss home as much as they missed me.

I'm sure she'll meet some great people. Where is she going if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like a catholic university from the activities that you explained.

Stay strong :)

She's going to Northern Michigan University- a very nice school with about 9500 kids. It's definitely NOT a catholic/Christian school- it's a secular public university. I've met her roommate, and I really like her (they met in July for the first time). She's going to have a great time- and I'm really excited for her!
Thanks again for all the kind words of encouragement. I know all that you said is true, and I really am much better today. She's only a couple of hours away, so we'll definitely be having lunch and doing some Christmas shopping together this winter. I also plan on going up for a hockey game or two, since we're both hockey obsessed. She's also going to have a month off at Christmas, and will plan on playing on my hockey team during that time. I just hate change, I guess.

Jesus Lorena,

You are making me about to start crying. My 2 daughters are now in High School together. A freshman and a junior. My wife and I were sitting out on the deck enjoying some 10 lb hammer the other night and she said "do you realize in 4 more years they will both be gone". :eek: I know how I felt the other night and I can't imagine how you feel. Hopefully we'll both still be around in 4 more years so you can tell me how everything will be alright.

Loop

Jesus Lorena,

You are making me about to start crying. My 2 daughters are now in High School together. A freshman and a junior. My wife and I were sitting out on the deck enjoying some 10 lb hammer the other night and she said "do you realize in 4 more years they will both be gone". :eek: I know how I felt the other night and I can't imagine how you feel. Hopefully we'll both still be around in 4 more years so you can tell me how everything will be alright.

Loop

They won't be gone. They will just be out of the primary, and in the secondary. They will be great when they've been bottled and aged!! ;)

They won't be gone. They will just be out of the primary, and in the secondary. They will be great when they've been bottled and aged!! ;)

LOL, those exact words just about came out of my mouth the other night. That is basicly what the 2 of them have said also, they both want to attend local colleges. I told them that instead of them moving out of the house, my wife and I would.

Lol....loop

Jesus Lorena,

Loop

You know, Tara is like me- says what's on her mind. She called me last night, all excited because she was invited to her first off-campus college party. I said, "oh, that sounds like fun" and she should have just been quiet. But, oh no, not her. She goes on with, "And we were invited by these super hot hockey players and they don't drink!". Well, I said that still sounded like fun but to look and don't touch. She just laughed and said that hockey players don't drink. Um, yeah. We all know that there isn't any drinking among college athletes! She kept talking and talking, and I got more and more worried! Darn kid- she should just lie and say she's home studying like all the kids do!

She just laughed and said that hockey players don't drink. Um, yeah. We all know that there isn't any drinking among college athletes!

And I don't like beer. ;)

When I was in college, the sports teams could out-drink the fraternities. :drunk: :D

And I don't like beer. ;)

When I was in college, the sports teams could out-drink the fraternities. :drunk: :D

well, geez, firebrewer, thanks for making me feel better! :mad:

Nah, I know that they drink. That's why I told her to "be smart". I'm not so much as naive to think she won't drink- but the problem is she is so naive!

Let her know the two primary rules.

Stick to beer - no shots until she knows what she's doing!
Treat any drink anyone else hands her as if they just shat a big turd in it.

Let her know the two primary rules.

Stick to beer - no shots until she knows what she's doing!
Treat any drink anyone else hands her as if they just shat a big turd in it.

Good rules to live by. She's not a beer drinker (I know, I know- I can't believe I birthed that one) but she's a sucker for those stupid Mike's drinks. I told her- only open her own but she's not really believing me. Even a coke- I told her to open her own coke can!

well, geez, firebrewer, thanks for making me feel better! :mad:

Nah, I know that they drink. That's why I told her to "be smart". I'm not so much as naive to think she won't drink- but the problem is she is so naive!

Actually I was just teasing...not trying to be a smart-ass, mind you. ;)

Anyway, even with some fresh-to-college naivety, sounds like she has a good backup (you).

I'm not so much as naive to think she won't drink- but the problem is she is so naive!

That's why you call her up and tell her in the sternest Mom Voice you can muster "If I EVER find out that you got trashed at a party drinking beer out of a can, you're paying for your own damned college! And don't think you can cheat and drink bud lite out of bottles either, I can tell the difference!"

Good rules to live by. She's not a beer drinker (I know, I know- I can't believe I birthed that one) but she's a sucker for those stupid Mike's drinks. I told her- only open her own but she's not really believing me. Even a coke- I told her to open her own coke can!

Hey, she's already had much better "mom advice" than 95% of the rest of the kids! You don't forget advice like that. She will be fine. :)

Latest posts

Back