enough Yeast? When to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a couple more primaries! They are tied up with an American Wheat and a Honey wheat brewed 4/23 and 4/27. I have done the recipes before, each time leaving them in the primary for 3 weeks, then straight to bottle, with great results. I am dying to brew my Schwarzbier, and my starter is getting pretty big:
yeast.jpg

It is at least a solid inch of sediment without cooling - a bunch still in suspension, about 20 hrs old.

Should I step it up and buy some time, (it is a lager) or chance a different flavor by racking my wheats to secondary and brew away?

I need a couple more primaries! They are tied up with an American Wheat and a Honey wheat brewed 4/23 and 4/27. I have done the recipes before, each time leaving them in the primary for 3 weeks, then straight to bottle, with great results. I am dying to brew my Schwarzbier, and my starter is getting pretty big:
yeast.jpg

Should I step it up and buy some time, (it is a lager) or chance a different flavor by racking my wheats to secondary and brew away?

What's the OG going to be on your beer? I am really bad about making starters and I've never had a lot of problems. I think that looks good to me for a style that is typically around 4-5%.

I agree. You shouldn't see much difference in flavor between using a secondary or not in that timeframe.

Cool. I would like to replicate everything exactly as before, but it probably wont make much difference. Dont know how much yeast action after FG is reached changes flavor. The lager is about 5%.

Cool. I would like to replicate everything exactly as before, but it probably wont make much difference. Dont know how much yeast action after FG is reached changes flavor. The lager is about 5%.

I don't believe the yeast changes the flavor profile much after FG is reached. From my understanding once the brew reaches FG, the yeast have pretty much done all they're going to do until you add other fermentables (ie: priming sugar for carbing). I'm pretty sure the aging process is more or less just to let the bitterness from the hops subside and for all the various flavors of the malts and such to "get to know each other".

Just my .02, I'm sure there's folks here who know more and could explan it better.

Back