How Long is too Long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
Hey All,

I brew beer so often that i've actually been getting backed up. My friends and I aren't drinking it fast enough, so my lagering fridge has two secondaries of beer at a time until i can free up a keg. How long is too long for beer to be in the secondary without adding possible off-flavors to the beer?

My Oktoberfest, i brewed in April but i don't plan on tapping it until September in true Oktoberfest tradition. Does this introduce the possibility of having off-flavors?

From what I have head here some people keep there beer in the Primary for more then a month.

Secondary longer.

Our Winter ale stayed in the secondary for 18 months. When we served it at a party, it got rave reveiws.

We usually keep our beers in the secondary anywhere from 1 to 6 months so I would say you're good with yours.

Unbelievable! You actually have ready beers being backlogged? I am just shocked!

for a big beer like an ocktoberfest I wouldnt worry about too long in the secondary: your off the yeast cake so the chances of renegade flavors are pretty low. I wish I had a beer backup :)

I try to brew 3 batches a month. Even with consumption running high, i struggle to drink 15 gal a month. Tomorrow i'm brewing a Titannia Wheat ale and i still have yet to tap the Oktoberfest or the 6-Malt Amber.

On a side note, if you like Oktoberfest style beer and you haven't brewed the Can't Lager Oktoberfest recipe you don't know what you're missing. My 2nd batch of it lasted less than a week.

I brew faster than I can drink it. Normally my beers end up in secondary for a minimum of 2 months and it's not uncommon for them to go 4-6 months and they all turn out just fine.

I have been struggling for the past 3 months to fill up the pipeline after I built my kegeratore, and I think I am almost there, now I can start making some meads and stouts that takes 6 months in secondary. If worst comes to worst I may have to buy some more carboys.

Back