Leaky Keg (rubber around post) - How to seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkristofo

Reaction score
I just pressure-tested another keg I have that looks like it's been knocked around a bit. It holds pressure fine to 20psi, but above that there's a faint "hiss". I replaced the O'rings for the lid, dip tubes, and put new poppits in the posts. With a a little soapy water I noticed that the leak is actually coming from a worn section of rubber near the "IN" post. Is there a way to seal this up? It's very faint...it takes maybe 5-10seconds to form a soapy bubble that will pop. Nonetheless, I don't want my beer going flat.

Cheers

Kris

Sounds to me like maybe you have a rolled O-ring under the post.

Take it back apart, and lube that O-ring rally good then tighten it down....should seal right up.

That was my thought, too, but I did that. Twice. Replaced it both times with new o-rings. And I used a bunch of lube.

**THE BIG KAHUNA IS CONFUSED!
Can ya take it apart and show us some pictures?

I need to get another digicam, or borrow the one from the GF. I dropped by the LHBS earlier and they gave me a different threaded post and new poppit to try. Hopefully that does the job. Of course, it wouldn't fix it if it's leaking through the rubber, but that sounds like a pretty rare occurrence from what i've been reading. Hopefully it's just a mis-thread.

-Kris

If there is any nick or deformity in your oring then it will not seal. You would need a new one. The same can be said of the stainless. If it is dented and air can get by the o-ring then it will not seal. Inspect with a magnifier if you can not see imperfections. Remember that the dip tube seals 2 places. The ID of the post and between the dip tube and dip tube housing. O-rings can not have any nicks or debris that keeps them from sealing. The wrong size o-rings do not work either and they must be food grade.

Back