When to go from Primary to Secondary (If at all)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree in general, but just to reiterate: you still generally want to secondary with sours and fruit additions. I also still move to secondary when doing a particularly huge beer (~1.100+), as I don't want it sitting on the cake for longer than 3-4 months.

And seconded on the unlikelihood of the priming sugar solution temp affecting carbonation. When prepping my priming solution, I boil for a bit, then dump straight into the bucket, generally racking onto it immediately. There's simply not enough hot liquid to have a huge impact on ~5 gallons of beer. It could very well be that your yeast in solution were tired, since as I recall, Dead Guy is a fairly robust beer (~1.070ish?).

It's definitely a strong one but I forget its fighting weight right now.

I guess this is what we get for using brew books from the 90s. The process definitely works, but I'm all for removing extra steps.

So i am working with what came from a small batch kit, meaning so far i have a 1 gal. Carboy-and that's it. I am useing it as my primary(and only) fermenter, but am thinking about getting another carboy, mostly to brew more batches...but now i'm wondering if i should get in to the habbit of racking from one carboy to the other(now a secondary if you will) and then fermenting next batch in primary while the other one clears...My big question is:
At least with theses small batches, are carboys ok for both primary and secondary fermenters? I've seen a verity of containers for fermenting, but i don't understand the pros and cons...dose the shape of the container efect fermenting and clearing at all?

I picked up a Brewers Best Extract Kit. Reading the instructions, as has been noted in hundreds of posts, they say either bottle or secondary conditioning.

I'm fairly new, I've got 10 extract kit batches under my belt and only one all grain batch.

But I wanted to note that the "leave in primary" recommendation vs racking to secondary only holds true in certain cases. While secondary is recommended for late post fermentation additions by most I have another to add.

Rack to secondary if fermenting primary in a bucket.

Though this may bring up another well-beaten dead horse, I don't believe the buckets are oxygen impermeable. I experimented with two batches of an amber. One I left in primary for about 4 weeks with the primary being a bucket. The other I left in primary with the primary being a PET carboy. I considered doing glass but the experiment was not glass vs plastic, it was bucket vs carboy.

I never opened either for FG readings in order to eliminate "intentional" oxygen exposure.

I took bottling day FG readings as follows: Bucket OG 1.065 FG 1.018. Carboy OG 1.068 FG 1.018.

So IMO both were complete and ready for bottling. While serial readings would have been proper, I was trying to eliminate variables.

Both were racked to a bottling bucket and bottled in 22oz bottles with 5oz priming sugar added to each batch.

After 4 weeks in the bottles the beer from the carboy is well-carbonated and flavorful. The beer from the bucket has minimal carbonation, no head, missing a lot of the flavors present in the carboy batch and much more "sugary" flavor. I'm not a "taster" I can't break down the flavors for you but I do know that the batches I've made in the bucket have not been as good as those in the carboy and after a side x side comparison of the same brew done on the same day and treated in the same manner, the carboy came out ahead.

While I recognize and admit there are a TON of extraneous variables present in this experiment and the results are anecdotal at best, I do recommend racking to secondary if primary fermentation is done in a bucket. When I've racked to a carboy for secondary clarification, I've had better results. What I feel is happening is when the yeast activity dies down the co2 production drops off and without a truly airtight container, you don't end up with the best final result. When I've bottled quickly from primary in a bucket, I've had good beer. But any time the beer has spent an extended period of time in bucket primary I have not had a final product worth sharing.

Long story short: if primary in a bucket either bottle or move to secondary, don't extend primary while in a bucket. If using a carboy as primary you may extend for beer clarification and eliminate secondary. If you don't care about clarity, bottle from primary without extended time in primary.

Hi all,

first post, first batch. Got a (hopefully) nice Ruination IPA clone fermenting like mad in a glass carboy. I have a couple corny kegs- planning to do secondary with dry hop pellets in a corny as soon as fermentation ends-

question 1: is it important that after a couple weeks of clarifying that I rack the beer from one corny to the other? or would you just carbonate the first one and start drinking?

question 2: using the 1, 2, 3 rule, once it's in the corny I plan to serve from, is the 3 weeks of final aging best done at full carbonation?

thanks!
Evan

I'm sorry that I think I asked this already, but how quickly to nanos or micros turn out an ale? Clearly they are not waiting 6 weeks to be able to sell a beer in most cases (except for maybe some special big beers). If you are kegging (assuming this means you can have a good beer drinkable more quickly...), what kind of time frame can they produce a good beer, and what lets them do this more quickly. Let's say a nano brewery so they are more on the same page as a homebrewer, equipment wise and say a pale ale for sake of relatively low OG. The underlying question here is, how can I make a good ale more quickly than 6 weeks....
EDIT: I guess my answers are here :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

I'm sorry that I think I asked this already, but how quickly to nanos or micros turn out an ale? Clearly they are not waiting 6 weeks to be able to sell a beer in most cases (except for maybe some special big beers). If you are kegging (assuming this means you can have a good beer drinkable more quickly...), what kind of time frame can they produce a good beer, and what lets them do this more quickly. Let's say a nano brewery so they are more on the same page as a homebrewer, equipment wise and say a pale ale for sake of relatively low OG. The underlying question here is, how can I make a good ale more quickly than 6 weeks....
EDIT: I guess my answers are here :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

10 days. fermentation takes 3-5 days and then a few days for the beer to clear and carb. Once the beer is carbed it's sold.

This is for ales. Lagers may take a bit longer.

Many brewpubs serve directly from the bright tanks.

Sorry for bumping and I admit I haven't read the whole thread because I have to run out for the night but here goes.

I brewed the White House ale from Northern Brewer on 10/31 (12 days ago). Used a yeast starter and had healthy fermentation for a few days and no more bubbles for at least a week. I should mention that I was at the bottom of the yeast temperature range. The low is 64F, which I was around or a little higher for the first several days then it got cold and basement dropped to 63F. I wanted to check the honey ale gravity but I broke my hydrometer this weekend :( Got to my LHBS today and got a new one and the gravity is at 1.020. Northern said the FG should be about 1.007 - 1.014. There was also a healthy head of krausen on top too. When I broke through it to get a sample, it seemed to dissipate a bit. So is fermentation not done?

I want to move the beer to secondary so I can use the yeast to brew a milk stout which I plan to put in a used whiskey barrel. Due to vacations coming up (thanksgiving and xmas), I really need to brew tomorrow or it will really delay me and maybe mean I have to wait until after xmas to brew, which I'd rather not do.

So can I transfer the honey ale to secondary or am I stuck waiting? I could brew tomorrow and delay pitching till Weds to see if the gravity stays the same for 3 days in a row, but then if it does, I'd be stuck pitching dry yeast, which I guess isn't the end of the world. What would you do?

ETA: and now it's bubbling again. Guess I roused the yeast.

All great and clear info, I like this site.
Now, what if my trub is some of the grains (a cup or so?) that over flowed my poor choice of a filtration device?

Fermentation is usually complete in less then a week - assuming a "normal" gravity beer, pitched with enough healthy yeast, aerated, good fermentation etc. Lagers may take a little longer.

I just pitched my second lager and stuck it in my fermenting room. Next time I looked, it had rolling yeast fireworks going on inside and was at 68 degrees F. That's warmer than recommended for lagers, but it seemed pretty happy. After a couple days, it slowed down considerably and I figured I ought to move it out to the garage where the temp was a stable 52F.

Have I done any damage? Is there a negative byproduct to a vigorous initial fermentation?

Hello,

I am very new at this and am transferring to a secondary for the 1st time (as recommended by the person I got the recipe from). I am worried that there won't be enough yeast left for carb once bottling. I'm probably being paranoid but too much yeast won't settle into the yeast cake will it??

Thank you in advance!! You are all so helpful here I've read these forums for a long time and this is my first post.

Hello,

I am very new at this and am transferring to a secondary for the 1st time (as recommended by the person I got the recipe from). I am worried that there won't be enough yeast left for carb once bottling. I'm probably being paranoid but too much yeast won't settle into the yeast cake will it??

Thank you in advance!! You are all so helpful here I've read these forums for a long time and this is my first post.

Brian,
IMHO secondary is only necessary if you intend to bulk age/lager the beer. I use secondary only for lagers. Otherwise I simply ferment the brew at controlled temperature for 7 days then let it slowly cool and rest for another 14 days. However, all of the lagers I have done there was enough yeast to bottle condition even after a 30 day lagering at 38F.

Hello,

you will have plenty of yeast left for carb. The yeast does not die off and fall into that cake . it is still alive and taking care of business. Your secondary will just allow it to clean up after it's self .
Even cold crashing it will not remove enough yeast to effect your carb.
I have done both and it all is good .

In my opinion a secondary is only needed for them big beers . It just seems to be a bunch of extra work for a regular beer and I think many brewers on here will agree , but not all . I used to use one but gave up the practice .

you will have plenty of yeast left for carb. The yeast does not die off and fall into that cake . it is still alive and taking care of business. Your secondary will just allow it to clean up after it's self .
Even cold crashing it will not remove enough yeast to effect your carb.
I have done both and it all is good .

In my opinion a secondary is only needed for them big beers . It just seems to be a bunch of extra work for a regular beer and I think many brewers on here will agree , but not all . I used to use one but gave up the practice .

Awesome, thank you so much!!! This is a pretty big beer - a Bell's Hopslam clone

Hey Brian,
I follow pretty much the same procedure as BrewerinBR. Once my ales reach FG, I leave them in the primary for at least another 10 days. From there, I go straight to the keg. If you're bottle conditioning, just go straight from the primary to your bottling bucket, taking care not to stir up too much trub. There are times when a secondary will help if you're using fruit or dry-hopping. If you do opt for a secondary, I would still leave it in the primary for at least a week after reaching FG.

I've never seen this asked before so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I use the swamp cooler method to keep my fermentation around 65. I was hoping to switch to secondary in a few days and I was wondering how much temperature affected secondary fermentation. I keep it in my closet which has an ambient temperature of about 66-68F.

I've never seen this asked before so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I use the swamp cooler method to keep my fermentation around 65. I was hoping to switch to secondary in a few days and I was wondering how much temperature affected secondary fermentation. I keep it in my closet which has an ambient temperature of about 66-68F.

Ok so I use secondary when I hit my target fg. This last batch when I hit 1.01 I did not wait 3 days to see if it changed I just racked it to secondary. After a week a lot more yeast had dropped so I put it in the fridge (a trick some have told me gets better clarity) now it has been in there a few days and I am ready to bottle. If my fg is still near 1.01 do I need to wait till the beer is at room temp to add sugar and bottle or just go strait into bottle cold? I don't want to shock the beer and loose the carbonation. What should I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok so I use secondary when I hit my target fg. This last batch when I hit 1.01 I did not wait 3 days to see if it changed I just racked it to secondary. After a week a lot more yeast had dropped so I put it in the fridge (a trick some have told me gets better clarity) now it has been in there a few days and I am ready to bottle. If my fg is still near 1.01 do I need to wait till the beer is at room temp to add sugar and bottle or just go strait into bottle cold? I don't want to shock the beer and loose the carbonation. What should I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It can go into the bottle cold just fine. No need to warm it up first.

Back