Unexpected, but gives me an idea!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The in-laws gave me flowers! Like.... A LOT OF FLOWERS! Matter of fact, I ended up with 2 gallon ziplocks full of rose petals. So I made mead! (Duh!)
Pushing 48 hours in primary and this smells like the most fantastic IPA I've ever brewed... Problem is... It's just roses, honey, water and yeast!
Makes me think I need to use the other gallon in an IPA!

The in-laws gave me flowers! Like.... A LOT OF FLOWERS! Matter of fact, I ended up with 2 gallon ziplocks full of rose petals. So I made mead! (Duh!)
Pushing 48 hours in primary and this smells like the most fantastic IPA I've ever brewed... Problem is... It's just roses, honey, water and yeast!
Makes me think I need to use the other gallon in an IPA!

This sounds interesting.
I would be curious to see how it tastes.

bleargh!

I have yet to find anything, other than "Turkish Delight", that is flavoured with flowers/petals etc that I like

I just have too many bad memories from growing up and having to occasionally eat "Parma Violet" sweets (so as not to upset the grand parents).

The lavender flavour of them was absolutely foul and it just means I now have bad associations with stuff flavoured this way.......

bleargh!

I have yet to find anything, other than "Turkish Delight", that is flavoured with flowers/petals etc that I like

I just have too many bad memories from growing up and having to occasionally eat "Parma Violet" sweets (so as not to upset the grand parents).

The lavender flavour of them was absolutely foul and it just means I now have bad associations with stuff flavoured this way.......

I have a grandfather that use to make dandelion wine when I was younger. You want to talk about nasty tasting stuff! I totally understand what you're saying about the memory tainting the taste buds. Would the rose petals work similar to rose hips?

I've never had a flower mead, but flower wines can be outstanding. My dandelion wine is fantastic, and lilac wine is very nice as well.

I think the rose mead sounds wonderful! I'm jealous, as this sounds great and I haven't received roses in about 30 years!

Well, as always, time will tell, but here are my thoughts:

Smells a lot like Rosé Perfume!
Taste: very much like perfume!

My wish: someone needs to buy their wife 24 roses and use them in an IPA! I don't think they will be sorry!

Back