Any two grain brown ale recipes ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try the recipe function above or the search function top right, I've had great success w/ them.

Cheers!

Try the recipe function above or the search function top right, I've had great success w/ them.

Cheers!

Thanks Jmprdood,

I'm looking to buy in bulk and would like to keep the grain bill as simple as possible. I would add some specialty grains to tweak my results but would like to stay with 2 main base grains as a platform to work from.

Thanks

bosco

Here is the thread I started when I was looking for a simple recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/simple-nut-brown-recipe-new-all-grain-316869/

I haven't brewed it yet, but I'm going to try this one from that thread (posted by TimTrone):

8lb marris otter
1lb brown malt
1lb C40
4oz pale chocolate

"Use about 25 IBUs of a English or English type hop. Willamette, Golding, target etc. the hops aren't so important in a beer like this. It's more malt focused."

I would guess you could stock up on the MO and either Brown or Crystal Malt, and get some crystal or brown, chocolate, and biscuit malts (seen that in other recipes) when you want them. I think a northern brown might have higher IBU requirements.

I am by no means an expert, but hopefully this helps!

Kosch

I can't imagine a good brown ale recipe that only has two grains in it, although you could probably get away with using maris otter and some brown malt.

I buy maris otter by the sack, but buy other grains like crystal malt, victory malt, etc by the pound.

We have lots and lots of excellent brown ale recipes posted, but with only two base grains you'd be extremely limited to make a good brown ale.

Anyway, here's my favorite: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/fat-squirrel-clone-108705/

Back