Uh oh, call the cops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Lookie what I just got.

triplets.jpg

I almost feel bad that one of them is a Ying. I'll probably cut that one up last.

I have a 4" angle grinder. I've used it to cut my first keggle and it was nice. However, since I'm cutting 3 in a row, I'm making a jig that will hold the grinder and also pivot on the center of the keg like a compass. The holes will be perfect. No worries, I'll document the hell out of it for everyone.

Nice score!!:rockin: What are you doing with your old keggle?:)

A friend of a friend of a friend tells me that you can get an adapter and use a keg as an 'aromatic oil maker'.

Might want to save the cool one for possible alternative later use.

I actually only went to pick up only two additional kegs to add to my existing keggle (HLT and MLT). The deal was just too good and he had the 3rd. I got them from a crooked liquor store owner and only paid the deposit. Flame suit on. Forget it.

I'm plan to convert all three, cut the tops and weld in couplings. I'm just trying to decide if I want to set them up single or two tier stand and whether or not to put couplings in the bottom or not. I don't think there is any significant advantage to a sidewall spigot given you have to install a dip tube anyway.

If I use RIMS on the MLT, I will surely put the drain in the bottom. Anyway, I think it's more cost effective to have six couplings welded in than two at a time since they usually have one hour labor minimums and I know they should be able to do all 6 in an hour. I'll probably sell the 3rd as a keggle ready to go.

Don't sell the third! Use it as a 2nd hot liquor tank. You can then dump the MLT at the end of the sparge. Reload it with the next mash and you'll already have water ready. You can do 2 batches just by adding one hour to your brew day. Boil one while mashing the 2nd. You could either use the first HLT as the second boil pot or just wait for the first batch to chill and clean the boil kettle. I know a guy that uses 2 HLT's and does 3 batches a session this way. He brews once a month and ends up with almost 40 gallons.

jdoiv said:
Don't sell the third! Use it as a 2nd hot liquor tank. You can then dump the MLT at the end of the sparge. Reload it with the next mash and you'll already have water ready. You can do 2 batches just by adding one hour to your brew day. Boil one while mashing the 2nd. You could either use the first HLT as the second boil pot or just wait for the first batch to chill and clean the boil kettle. I know a guy that uses 2 HLT's and does 3 batches a session this way. He brews once a month and ends up with almost 40 gallons.

Bobby- didn't you buy some water tower of a pot already??

Ok, so no way am I running a 4 keg system. I already have a problem disposing of 5 gallon batches so even though I'll have 10g capacity, I'll probably do few of them. There's not way I'd need to run a 20 gallon brew day.

I never did buy the 64 gallon stainless kettle that I found. I really can't deal with that kind of volume (see argument above).

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a two-tier system, single pump, HERMS mash heating with natural gas multijet burners on the HLT and Kettle. I'll be mocking up the brewstand in Google Sketchup as soon as I'm done building my daughter's outdoor playset. I've got like 9 bedframe sets ready to go.

Bobby if you're gonna sell the 3rd when you're ready let me know. I'll take it off your hands. I've only got the 1 keggle now so I'm looking for 2 more eventually.

Plus I'm litterally 5 minutes from Piscataway!

Bobby_M said:
I have a 4" angle grinder. I've used it to cut my first keggle and it was nice. However, since I'm cutting 3 in a row, I'm making a jig that will hold the grinder and also pivot on the center of the keg like a compass. The holes will be perfect. No worries, I'll document the hell out of it for everyone.
I think you should just send them to me. I'll take them into my shop, laser cut them open for you, clean them and test them before sending them back. :D

If you drill a hole in the Keg and fill it with Water it eliminates a lot of the noise when you cut the hole in the Keg....

Noise is one of the reasons why I trade the Local Welder a 12 pack of homebrew for Plasma cutting kegs when I need it.

Agree on the water while cutting idea but I'll just take the valve and dip tube out of the neck instead of drilling. It's easy to do with a small flat screw driver (taking the snap ring out that is).

Al, I'll definitiely keep you in mind when I'm done with the kegs.

Latest posts

Back