Lots and lots of foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewWeeber88

Reaction score
I am having problems with bottling my beer. I have a beer gun and the beer is fully carbonated at 12 psi and it is at refrigerator temp. My problem is that when I fill the bottle it just fills up with foam. It acts like there is too much carbonation... How do I fix this? Thanks

Have you chilled the bottles so that they are the same temp as the brew going in??

I typically toss mine in the freezer (once sanitized) for 15-30 minutes before filling from keg. For long necks, I cover the tops with sanitized foil. For swing-tops I just close them.

Are you following the instructions supplied with the beer gun to turn down the pressure going to the beer keg? I don't have them in front of me, but I recall that they tell you to turn down the regulator to half, so that'd be about 5-6 psi.

Chill the bottles first, as that really reduces foaming. I like to have the bottles in a try, because some of the beer will spill. A sanitized pitcher to hold the beer gun when you need to set it down is handy also!

Great info my friends. I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet
I will try all of the above and get back to you ASAP. Thanks

I have had the best luck with my bottling gun, when I turn the pressure down, but also release the pressure from the keg before each bottle. This is particularly true if the keg is pretty full. The keg re-pressurizes pretty quickly when full, so even if the pressure is dialed down, it will quickly build back up to where it was carbonated. Also chill your kegs down to 35 or so

I have had the best luck with my bottling gun, when I turn the pressure down, but also release the pressure from the keg before each bottle. This is particularly true if the keg is pretty full. The keg re-pressurizes pretty quickly when full, so even if the pressure is dialed down, it will quickly build back up to where it was carbonated. Also chill your kegs down to 35 or so

Is your keg hooked up to gas while you are venting between every bottle?

Back