Oatmeal stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncole000

Reaction score
Hello all! I am currently putting together a recipe for an oatmeal stout and would like some feedback. Thanks in advance!

Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.00 lbs 64.52 % Light Dry Extract 60 mins 1.044
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033
0.50 lbs 3.23 % Black (Patent) Malt 60 mins 1.025
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.025
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
0.50 lbs 3.23 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 3.23 % Black Barley (Stout) 60 mins 1.025

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
2.00 ozs 29.30 Northern Brewer 60 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs 0.00 Fuggles 0 mins 4.50
1.00 ozs 4.70 Williamette 15 mins 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg London Ale III Wyeast Labs 1318
:mug:

Any starchy adjunct like flaked oats need to be mashed. Their only contribution here is to get wet and soggy. Replace a pound of the light extract with two pounds of pale malt and then you can do a mini mash with the oats. This will convert the oat's starches to sugars as well as break down their proteins and other fractions that shouldn't be in the beer.

You recipe does look overly complicated with four different black malts for instance. 120L crystal is also fairly aggressive and IMO a full pound is quite a bit for even ten gallons. The pound each of roasted barley and chocolate malts are enough to give you a dark stout here. I would eliminate the black patent and black barley listings and cut the 120L crystal in half. You could replace this with another pound of flaked oats and pale malt for the mini mash.

I like this recipe, and I mash on the high side @ 156-158° F. Double for 10gal.

Ingredients:

8 lbs. pale two-row English ale malt
1 lb. crystal malt, 60° Lovibond
1 to 1.5lbs oatmeal (quick)
0.5 lb. chocolate malt
0.5 lb. roasted barley
1/2 tsp. Irish moss
2 oz. Fuggles hops for boiling (4.2% alpha acid), for 45 min.
1 pack Wyeast 1084, Irish ale yeast

Thanks for the feedback! I have been looking into getting into all-grain brewing anyways so I think I will take your advice and do the mini mash. One question that I do have is should I do the mini mash with just the pale malt and oats or do the mini mash with all of the grains?

Thanks for the feedback! I have been looking into getting into all-grain brewing anyways so I think I will take your advice and do the mini mash. One question that I do have is should I do the mini mash with just the pale malt and oats or do the mini mash with all of the grains?

All the grains can go in together. The black roasted and crystal grains don't have starches to convert which is why they can be steeped for extract recipes but putting them in the mash both simplifies the process and gets the most out of them. :mug:

Hello all! I am currently putting together a recipe for an oatmeal stout and would like some feedback. Thanks in advance!

Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.00 lbs 64.52 % Light Dry Extract 60 mins 1.044
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033
0.50 lbs 3.23 % Black (Patent) Malt 60 mins 1.025
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.025
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
0.50 lbs 3.23 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033
1.00 lbs 6.45 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 3.23 % Black Barley (Stout) 60 mins 1.025

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
2.00 ozs 29.30 Northern Brewer 60 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs 0.00 Fuggles 0 mins 4.50
1.00 ozs 4.70 Williamette 15 mins 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg London Ale III Wyeast Labs 1318
:mug:

I think it's too much with the roasted barley, black patent, and black barley. Black barley and black patent are very close to the same thing, depending on maltsters and you've got quite a bit of it. With the chocolate malt, it might be too roasty and ashy.

I have an oatmeal stout with this grain bill that I love:
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

Flaked oats do not necessarily need to be mashed. They have been heated to a pretty high temp when flaked that has pre-gelitinized the oats. I have used them before in my extract breakfast stout recipe as steeping grain and I do not have any issue with starch. John Palmer talks about it here

Flaked oats do not necessarily need to be mashed. They have been heated to a pretty high temp when flaked that has pre-gelitinized the oats. I have used them before in my extract breakfast stout recipe as steeping grain and I do not have any issue with starch. John Palmer talks about it here

You mean right here?

Oatmeal 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

(Bold font my doing- the rest directly from that page).

Depending on your ingredient sources or your personal preference, it could be a lot cheaper to use LME.

Yooper beat me to it but flaked oats do have to be mashed, at least if you want any meaningful contribution from them. Gelitinization is not the same thing as conversion.

No you do not get full usage of the oats because of the gelatination. What I was implying is that it does not make them totally worthless as a steeping grain, and the idea that all you will get is a starch haze if you don't convert them is untrue. Have used them as a steeping grain with great results.

So as a follow up to that. You do not gain any sugar benefit from steeping oatmeal as you are not truly converting it, but you will be gaining some body from them.

Back