Campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
After reading all the posts regarding chloramine and chlorine possibly ruining beer, I went to my LHBS to purchase campden tablets. I was advised by the owner that I could be creating a worse problem by using the tablets because although the chloramine and chlorine would be neutralized, there could very well be an excess amount of sulfites remaining in the wort, which could have a negative impact on the yeast. I wound up using RO water with the minerals added back,(Nestle). I have no scientific background to agree or disagree with the gentleman, but I'm sure there are posters on this forum that do. I'd be interested to hear their input.:mug:

I've used a campden tablet for my last few batches of beer, I use city water for all my brews. No issues thus far, the yeast have been doing just fine. No off flavors either.

No problems here. You only need 1 tablet for 20 gallons of water. I split mine into pieces to accomodate for a smaller batch size.

If your local water uses chlorine, you don't really need them. Just leave your brew water out overnight and it will evaporate. This is one of the reasons municipal water systems have been switching to chloramines because chlorine proves to be too unstable in open air.

No problems here. You only need 1 tablet for 20 gallons of water. I split mine into pieces to accomodate for a smaller batch size.

If your local water uses chlorine, you don't really need them. Just leave your brew water out overnight and it will evaporate. This is one of the reasons municipal water systems have been switching to chloramines because chlorine proves to be too unstable in open air.

When you leave it out overnight, does it have to be uncovered? I read my water report and there's no mention of chloramine, just chlorine.

According to water expert ajdelange, excess sulfite is not a problem (assuming you're not using ridiculous amounts of metabite):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/c...hlorinate-de-chloraminate-163230/#post2437968

Quote from the linked post:
"The good news is that the products of reacted and unreacted metabite (with the exception of the cation) are beneficial to beer in various ways so over dosing is not a problem."

According to water expert ajdelange, excess sulfite is not a problem (assuming you're not using ridiculous amounts of metabite):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/c...hlorinate-de-chloraminate-163230/#post2437968

Quote from the linked post:
"The good news is that the products of reacted and unreacted metabite (with the exception of the cation) are beneficial to beer in various ways so over dosing is not a problem."

I think that's the scientific answer I was looking for. I guess the LHBS fellow was misinformed.:mug:

I agree with what has been said. Allow chlorine to dissipate over night, or just use a carbon filter at point of use. IMO, chlorine aside, it is always a nice idea to filter your brewing water. However, neither of those options will help you with chloramine, so the small dose of campden is needed. 1 small tablet for 20 gallons. I break mine down to quarters, pulverise the 1/4 tablet between my fingers, and add it to the kettle water for each stage during brew day.

As an aside, I am sure there are some awesome HBS out there, and your shop may be staffed by some great people, but the advice can be awful. My personal favoite was "I rack 4 times because I want crystal clear beer."

I say take what you hear with a grain of salt, and do some fact checking (as you did) before taking any advice from the guy behind the counter at the LHBS to heart.

Joe

I agree with what has been said. Allow chlorine to dissipate over night, or just use a carbon filter at point of use. IMO, chlorine aside, it is always a nice idea to filter your brewing water. However, neither of those options will help you with chloramine, so the small dose of campden is needed. 1 small tablet for 20 gallons. I break mine down to quarters, pulverise the 1/4 tablet between my fingers, and add it to the kettle water for each stage during brew day.

As an aside, I am sure there are some awesome HBS out there, and your shop may be staffed by some great people, but the advice can be awful. My personal favoite was "I rack 4 times because I want crystal clear beer."

I say take what you hear with a grain of salt, and do some fact checking (as you did) before taking any advice from the guy behind the counter at the LHBS to heart.

Joe
Good advice. Is there any down side to using the powdered form of the tablets? Wouldn't it be easier than breaking tablets?

I have never seen the powered form. I bought a jar of the tablets for like $3, and I will probably be dead before I use it up. The thing I like about the tablets is that they are pretty easily measured. I simply break them in 4 pieces, and use accordingly. It is such a small amount, I think it would actually be easy to overdo it in a powder form.

For the sake of a visual, it is like breaking a baby asparin into 4 pieces. That is a pretty small amount of powder to measure out...

Don't really see a reason to leave it out overnight to get rid of chlorine unless you are topping off with it too

I've been using 1/4 tabs of Campden to deal with my chloramine, which won't boil off. I agree it's pretty easy to break up the tabs and they are cheap

Back