The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're only playing with 10 men tonight, because Jozy is on the field.

Get. Him. Off. The. Field!

Jozy did okay, the problem was that Brazil so outplayed the midfield that he was on an island. It wasn't until we had nothing left to lose (and we had a bunch of the young guns on the field) that we actually started to press high. If the US had pressed higher the rest of the night, we might have actually done better.

Jozy did okay, the problem was that Brazil so outplayed the midfield that he was on an island. It wasn't until we had nothing left to lose (and we had a bunch of the young guns on the field) that we actually started to press high. If the US had pressed higher the rest of the night, we might have actually done better.

I disagree. He looked lifeless on the field. No spark. Whenever the ball came to him he held up and, more often than not, played it backwards. He should be taking it to the defenders, making them worry. Brazil didn't care that he was there. He was useless.

We need more people like Williams taking chances from outside the box. If you don't take the chances and only wait for the "perfect" ball, you're not going to score.

I disagree. He looked lifeless on the field. No spark. Whenever the ball came to him he held up and, more often than not, played it backwards. He should be taking it to the defenders, making them worry. Brazil didn't care that he was there. He was useless.

We need more people like Williams taking chances from outside the box. If you don't take the chances and only wait for the "perfect" ball, you're not going to score.

Sorry but what good would "taking it" to David Luiz, Miranda, Fabinho and Marcelo do? This isn't a pissant CONCACAF squad we can physically dominate. It's a team populated with talent.

Just a run through of the clubs the starting outfield for Brazil play for (we know they have Goalie issues)

Fabinho - Monaco
David Luiz - PSG
Miranda - Inter
Marcelo - Real Madrid
Douglas Costa - Bayern Munich
Elias - Corinthians (formerly Atletico Madrid and Sporting CP before "retiring" to BRazil)
Luis Gustavo - Wolfsburg (recently Bayern)
Willian - Chelsea
Lucas Lima - Santos
Hulk - Zenit

ANd their subs
Neymar - Barcelona
Rafinha - Barcelona
Lucas Moura - PSG
Fernandinho - Manchester City
Markinhos - PSG
Roberto Firmino - Liverpool

So of the 16 OF players they had out there only 2 aren't on a Champions league level squad.

Compared to the US's OF players

Orozco - Tijuana
Alvarado - America
Cameron - Stoke
Ream - Fulham
Yedlin - Spurs
Jones - Revs
Bedoya - Nantes
BRadley - Toronto
Zardes - LA
Jozy - Toronto

And our reserves
Williams - Reading
Johannsson - Bremen
Wood - Union Berlin
Morris - Stanford U
Mix - NYCFC
Spector - Birmingham City

It's an apples and organes game when we play Brazil, especially when they're playing their top talent. It's not like we played them without their top playters like we did Germany that one time.

Sorry but what good would "taking it" to David Luiz, Miranda, Fabinho and Marcelo do? This isn't a pissant CONCACAF squad we can physically dominate. It's a team populated with talent.

Just a run through of the clubs the starting outfield for Brazil play for (we know they have Goalie issues)

Fabinho - Monaco

David Luiz - PSG

Miranda - Inter

Marcelo - Real Madrid

Douglas Costa - Bayern Munich

Elias - Corinthians (formerly Atletico Madrid and Sporting CP before "retiring" to BRazil)

Luis Gustavo - Wolfsburg (recently Bayern)

Willian - Chelsea

Lucas Lima - Santos

Hulk - Zenit

ANd their subs

Neymar - Barcelona

Rafinha - Barcelona

Lucas Moura - PSG

Fernandinho - Manchester City

Markinhos - PSG

Roberto Firmino - Liverpool

So of the 16 OF players they had out there only 2 aren't on a Champions league level squad.

Compared to the US's OF players

Orozco - Tijuana

Alvarado - America

Cameron - Stoke

Ream - Fulham

Yedlin - Spurs

Jones - Revs

Bedoya - Nantes

BRadley - Toronto

Zardes - LA

Jozy - Toronto

And our reserves

Williams - Reading

Johannsson - Bremen

Wood - Union Berlin

Morris - Stanford U

Mix - NYCFC

Spector - Birmingham City

It's an apples and organes game when we play Brazil, especially when they're playing their top talent. It's not like we played them without their top playters like we did Germany that one time.

Blah, blah, blah. One of the things that I have always loved and hated about the U.S. Is that we play to the level of our opponents. It's why we almost beat Brazil in the confed cup and why we were able to beat Spain as well.

I don't buy the cop out you give above. What good would taking it to their defense do? The same thing that the fresh youngsters accomplished when they came on at the end. They weren't afraid of running at the defense and it resulted in open space and an awesome goal for the U.S.

Blah, blah, blah. One of the things that I have always loved and hated about the U.S. Is that we play to the level of our opponents. It's why we almost beat Brazil in the confed cup and why we were able to beat Spain as well.

I don't buy the cop out you give above. What good would taking it to their defense do? The same thing that the fresh youngsters accomplished when they came on at the end. They weren't afraid of running at the defense and it resulted in open space and an awesome goal for the U.S.

We had 2 forwards when we were "taking it" to their defense at the end. Not one forward on an island. WE also went with a Forward mid and a holding mid instead of a holding mid and 2 box to box mids.

Our defense in the end was our biggest failure. A lot of that had to do with not being able to select some of our best players cause of injury or club need.

We had 2 forwards when we were "taking it" to their defense at the end. Not one forward on an island. WE also went with a Forward mid and a holding mid instead of a holding mid and 2 box to box mids.

Our defense in the end was our biggest failure. A lot of that had to do with not being able to select some of our best players cause of injury or club need.

You're right. It's perfectly acceptable for Jozy to stroll around the field and not try when the lineup isn't optimal. :mug: :rolleyes:

And agree with our defense. It's almost always our biggest failure.

You're right. It's perfectly acceptable for Jozy to stroll around the field and not try when the lineup isn't optimal. :mug: :rolleyes:

And agree with our defense. It's almost always our biggest failure.

Jozy was pretty terrible, but he was set up for failure. You talk about always playing the ball back, what other options did he really have? Aside from taking on players from a distance in a way only guys like Messi, Suarez, Neymar, and Aguero are likely successful.

Hopefully our defense will be a good deal healthier in a month. Johnson would be a huge RB upgrade and Cameron and Brooks/Besler in the middle would be the way to go.

So ProSoccerTalk, if you ever read them, hosed their entire website's format and I find pretty damn close to unreadable. Anybody have a soccer news site that is pretty good that is US and MLS focused and pretty well balanced?

So ProSoccerTalk, if you ever read them, hosed their entire website's format and I find pretty damn close to unreadable. Anybody have a soccer news site that is pretty good that is US and MLS focused and pretty well balanced?

I use MLS for most things news related as I follow the USMNT.

As far as other MLS coverage, ESPN is OK but I find their format to be horrific.

News was released yesterday but I didn't get a chance to post on here.

RENO IS GETTING A USL CLUB! Holy crap I'm so excited. I want to start creating social media groups but I almost feel like it would be better to wait until there is a name... unless having "USL Reno" as a place keeper is acceptable. I just want to get the word out and make it easy to communicate.

The official announcement is Wednesday. It's a shame it will be played in a baseball stadium but I don't care, I'll take what I can get. I just hope Reno never meets LA in the Open Cup!

Madness continues in the Premiership.

Chelsea sinks again. That's beyond incredible to me.
Leicester somehow stays near the top.
Liverpool still looks mediocre.
Spurs play their worst match yet, but finally win.

Oh, and Adebayor sent packing on mutual agreement. Even if we'd lost (which we should have were it not for help twice from the woodwork), that still makes me smile.

And also this happened: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-wearing-the-strangest-shirt-of-all-time.html

As a Chelsea fan I don't really know what to think. There is too much quality on the roster to perform so poorly. In hindsight, we seem to have hit our peak in early 2015 as we limped across the finish line. I hope Mourinho starts playing some young guys because the vets are certainly not getting it done.

Another week of MLS action, fierce and chippy as the season rolls towards the end.

1. Montreal Blank the Champs
Lowly Montreal somehow managed to keep the razor sharp offense of LA to a 0-0 draw, keeping the Impact in the playoff spots (a loss would have meant Orlando ascending to 6th). I was skeptical of the idea that firing Yallop would somehow improve the season, but with Drogba picking up a hat trick and this result I could be wrong. LA, on the other hand, has fallen down to 3rd after being in the driving seat of the Supporter's Shield race not too long ago.

2. New England Demonstrates Why Toronto Won't Win MLS Cup
Toronto may be one of the scariest attacking teams in MLS and more or less on track to get their first ever post season berth, but with their defense as it is they're unlikely to win the MLS cup. Case in point: Toronto's 3-1 loss to New England on Sunday. Against a team with excellent defense the Reds' attack was stymied and kept to a single goal while New England launched vicious counter attacks that sliced open the shaky Toronto defense. At this point in the season, there's not much Toronto can do to change their defensive woes, but they need to address them in the off season.

3. Kei Kamara Grabs Firm Control of the Race for the Golden Boot
Kei Kamara scored a brace against the Philadelphia Union, upping his goal total on the season to 20. Kamara is the first to 20 this season in a Columbus Crew team that is unlikely to take the cup (see Toronto above) but sure as hell delivers exciting soccer every game. Kamara only has 5 games left before the post season, so it's unlikely he'll break either Columbus' season record (26 by Stern John in 1999, his last season in the league before heading to the EPL) or that seemingly unbreakable 27 goal MLS record, but the ever increasing number of high scoring individual players in MLS is a sure sign that record will fall sooner rather than later.

4. Things Get Chippy in Sunny Orlando
In theory, the game between Orlando City FC and Sporting KC should have been a pleasant one. Orlando City used to be the USL feeder team for Sporting, both teams had former players that parted on amicable terms with their former team. But it turns out that late season pressure and a high scoring match would combine for a very physical game. It all came to a boil when Dom Dwyer and David Mateos got into a shoving match behind the action, while one of the assistants ran back and called attention to the altercation, after a shove by Dwyer, Mateos fell to the ground clutching his face like he had been headbutted, and Dwyer was shown a straight red. Now, Dwyer probably would have gotten a red either way, but Mateos' actions probably kept him from getting a similarly colored card or at least a bright and shiny yellow one. Unfortunately for Mateos, the national broadcast caught all the action, so he is almost certainly going to be facing discipline from the Disciplinary Committee. Orlando's 3-1 win means that Sporting stays in 4th, while Orlando is once again in sniffing distance of the playoffs.

MLS rosters are locked today, so if you have a favorite squad the team they have now is what they have available until the end of MLS cup. A lot of teams have big decisions to make, since anyone on the DL needs to either be added to the roster (with the hope that they recover soon) or leave them off the roster. Some notable tough decisions: Gilberto (Chicago Fire), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston), Kenny Cooper (Montreal Impact), Darrius Barnes (New England Revolution), Chris Duvall (NYRB), Harrison Heath (Orlando City SC), Innocent (San Jose Quakes), Ike Opara (Sporting KC) and Roger Espinoza (Sporting KC). There's a lot of starters and regular subs in there for a lot of teams to debate on. Officially we should see final rosters tomorrow morning.

Interesting weekend so far (and good results from where I sit). West Ham continues to do well. Not that I want anyone being higher on the table, but knocking City down a peg is always nice. Leicester is now the only unbeaten side. The one time I'm happy to see Chelsea win is when it's against Arsenal, but even moreso when the win still keeps em lower on the table than Spurs :rockin:. Son would be amazing if he weren't so tiny, but nutmegs the Crystal Palace keeper giving us the win, and I'm so happy to see Eriksen back, since he seems to be what keeps our midfield from falling apart as its been doing lately. Today it was the defense that fell apart, but the fantastic combo of Hugo and goalpost keep the clean sheet. Hah. I wonder when Levy tries to sell the woodwork to Madrid. :ban:

Now for a couple hopeful draws.

I was on a camping trip with my daughter all weekend with no cell or internet service, so I didn't find out about the weekend results until Sunday night. I'm glad Chelsea seems to have righted their ship a little. It is nice beating Wenger because he takes it so poorly. Mourinho seems to take extra pleasure in beating him as well. The table looks weird so far this season, but I think it will all shake out more to form as the season unfolds. Man City will revert back to their inconsistent ways and (hopefully) Chelsea continues to dig themselves out of their early hole.

It is nice beating Wenger because he takes it so poorly.

Mourinho is just such a classy guy, you can't compare other classless managers to him. It is just an unfair expectation. Hopefully they can sweep this whole Eva Carneiro thing under the rug and he can resume getting all the respect he deserves.

Sounders took the Cascadia Cup back to Seattle, so a good sports weekend for me. :)

The NYRB clinched on Sunday, with MLS clinching season having arrived, you suddenly realize exactly how close the playoffs are, it should be interesting to see who clinches first in the west. Believe it or not, Sporting KC might clinch before anyone else if they can win their next 3 games.

Also, holy crap Juan Guzman is a ****ty, dangerous ref. That Houston and Philly game was brutal and they're lucky nobody received a major injury.

I agree costa & Pepe are peas in a pod. If Mourinho played that's how he would act. The best is when wenger pushed him and he just had this helpless scared look.

Sounders took the Cascadia Cup back to Seattle, so a good sports weekend for me. :)

The NYRB clinched on Sunday, with MLS clinching season having arrived, you suddenly realize exactly how close the playoffs are, it should be interesting to see who clinches first in the west. Believe it or not, Sporting KC might clinch before anyone else if they can win their next 3 games.

Also, holy crap Juan Guzman is a ****ty, dangerous ref. That Houston and Philly game was brutal and they're lucky nobody received a major injury.
True about Guzman, never been a fan.

As for clinching, I'm pretty sure Vancouver has it clinched this weekend if they win and somebody else loses.

EDIT: More like if Vancouver beats NYC and RSLvSJ ends up being a draw.

True about Guzman, never been a fan.

As for clinching, I'm pretty sure Vancouver has it clinched this weekend if they win and somebody else loses.

EDIT: More like if Vancouver beats NYC and RSLvSJ ends up being a draw.

Nope, technically not. With a draw, RSL could still tie Vancouver and then overcome them on tie-breakers. Vancouver can't clinch for two more weekends. The only team that could clinch in the next week or so is Sporting KC, they play three games in 7 days (tomorrow, then Sunday and next Wednesday) which could give them 53 points, enough to get them permanently over the line. Of course, winning three games in 7 days is easier said than done.

Nope, technically not. With a draw, RSL could still tie Vancouver and then overcome them on tie-breakers. Vancouver can't clinch for two more weekends. The only team that could clinch in the next week or so is Sporting KC, they play three games in 7 days (tomorrow, then Sunday and next Wednesday) which could give them 53 points, enough to get them permanently over the line. Of course, winning three games in 7 days is easier said than done.

[dramatically removes glasses]

My god, he's right!

[dramatically removes glasses]

My god, he's right!

I did the math because I was curious on Sunday, games in hand and schedule really can lead to some interesting situations. To be clear, I think one of the top 3 in the west is most likely to clinch first, but stranger things have happened...

I did the math because I was curious on Sunday, games in hand and schedule really can lead to some interesting situations. To be clear, I think one of the top 3 in the west is most likely to clinch first, but stranger things have happened...

You mean like Colorado winning the Cup? Or like Colorado winning the Cup as the Eastern Conference champions? :D

I have not confirmed this but I read he scored 5 goals with 9 times on the ball. If that's true, it's insane.

Edit: 10 touches to score 5 goals. Check out his touch map.
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/34332408

Didn't watch the whole match but it looked like (if you don't count the one two with the woodwork prior to scoring) 5 goals in 5 shots. Madness.

I'm amazed DC United squeaked out a draw last night.

And even though i made it home on time, internet is out so I'm listening to NLD instead. Fotmob is a fantastic app if anyone doesn't use it already.

COME ON YOU SPURS.

Didn't watch the whole match but it looked like (if you don't count the one two with the woodwork prior to scoring) 5 goals in 5 shots. Madness.

I'm amazed DC United squeaked out a draw last night.

And even though i made it home on time, internet is out so I'm listening to NLD instead. Fotmob is a fantastic app if anyone doesn't use it already.

COME ON YOU SPURS.

He honestly should've had at least a 6th goal as well. A defender cleared it off the line. Craziness. Even having 5 shots on goal in a 9 minute span is rare.

Well, LA mediocre'd their way into the next stage of CCL. The starting lineup had literally zero starters and the only non-LA2 players starting were Gargan and Gordo.

Back