What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tyzippers said:
I gotta know. What's the deal with the abundance of old people in B&W avatars?

There's a thread about it somewhere in the forum.

Edit: tinhorn beat me to it.

Tinhorn said:
That rice wine is sneaky as hell but i knew we would have a man down situation as soon as I saw you drinking mason jars full of it !

Haha! Well, here's a picture of the mason jar I was drinking out of last night. Probably nowhere near as big as you're thinking.

image-3454346282.jpg

Billy-Klubb said:
alright, this is what I'm working on. I was planning on a true secondary with dregs from my Rose Hip Saison. Dubbel Saison Belgian Specialty Ale Type: All Grain Date: 11/11/2012 Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: Billy Klubb, Bobby Klubb Boil Size: 6.82 gal Asst Brewer: Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 9.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.55 % 1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 % 0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 % 1.50 oz Fuggles [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU 1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - 1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 8.16 % 1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.075 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.52 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.85 % Bitterness: 25.4 IBU Calories: 340 cal/pint Est Color: 19.4 SRM

I don't see the Nelson working in a dubbel.
I would use d-90 rather than clear syrup. Trappist style ales get most of their flavor from the syrup.

Billy-Klubb said:
speak for yourself. I'm having a GT's Kombucha. also thinking about doing a Tripel w/ Nelson instead.

Much better idea. Use the clear syrup I that if you already bought it. If not, use table sugar

Much better idea. Use the clear syrup I that if you already bought it. If not, use table sugar
I have no syrup, but I've been holding this clear Candi Sugar for a while & want to use it on something. I still might lower my base a hair & add some table sugar.

Easy there Billy! Your sarcasm detector broken today? That was totally meant in a sarcastic way!

bruva, there's only 2 things I'm serious about in life: 1) my family (wife & sons) and 2) my work (whatever I'm working on). my smartmouthy sarcasm runs from very subtle to blatant disregard for ones feelings. :rockin:

I'm drinking the flat IPA i just bottled today, monday to the brewstore,
Another kit with grains to mash or go on to some paint strainers and a BAIB?

davygoat2 said:
I'm drinking the flat IPA i just bottled today, monday to the brewstore,
Another kit with grains to mash or go on to some paint strainers and a BAIB?

I say go on to AG, mash tun and all! ;)

WesleyS said:
Haha! Well, here's a picture of the mason jar I was drinking out of last night. Probably nowhere near as big as you're thinking.
holy crap your hand is swollen all up like he who name shan't be spoken !

I have no syrup, but I've been holding this clear Candi Sugar for a while & want to use it on something. I still might lower my base a hair & add some table sugar.

Oh, that stuff. Might as well use it all. I'm assuming you've since learned it's a waste of money?

Channel66 said:
Coffee, fook this illness

I wanted to brew today, but I'm not feeling it.

Sorry you're feeling bad, bro.
I was sick my last brew day. Like an idiot, I made it a double brew day also. Just pushed through it and collapsed when I was done.

Sorry you're feeling bad, bro.
I was sick my last brew day. Like an idiot, I made it a double brew day also. Just pushed through it and collapsed when I was done.

I've got 6 stir plates going to send out to people, which was yours? Stout yeast, quad yeast, and a saison? No Brett right?

Channel66 said:
I've got 6 stir plates going to send out to people, which was yours? Stout yeast, quad yeast, and a saison? No Brett right?

Mine was stout and quad.
Do you have any 100% Brett or is it just in blends?

Channel66 said:
Just blends that are any different right now any of the 100% brett that I have is readily commercially available.

Do you have a blend with Brett that you'd recommend for making a highly NZ hopped beer?
I have a lot of Nelson Sauvin that I've been trying to decide what to do with. At first I though about just doing a sort of wheat pale ale with them. But now I've been thinking about adding Brett in the mix.

I need to read about these yeasts. It seems like it would be rad to use it but I've never done anything but rehydrate dry and pitch it.

Coffee, fook this illness

I wanted to brew today, but I'm not feeling it.

That sucks. Hope you're feeling better tomorrow. I'm still planning on brewing here, down to about 998 things I need to get done first. It'll be down to 996 after I have a beer and rack black flanders onto blueberries.:D

Just blends that are any different right now any of the 100% brett that I have is readily commercially available.

Less other people, more growing the goodies I sent. :D :D :D

Do you have a blend with Brett that you'd recommend for making a highly NZ hopped beer?
I have a lot of Nelson Sauvin that I've been trying to decide what to do with. At first I though about just doing a sort of wheat pale ale with them. But now I've been thinking about adding Brett in the mix.

Actually I've got just the thing for that, I made my most recent Belgian IPA with my pale yeast blended with low levels of brett b and a mutation of b. Let's the hops shine through providing just that little bit of funk on the nose and mid pallet.

That sucks. Hope you're feeling better tomorrow. I'm still planning on brewing here, down to about 998 things I need to get done first. It'll be down to 996 after I have a beer and rack black flanders onto blueberries.:D

Less other people, more growing the goodies I sent. :D :D :D

Those are growing in the lab. This is just what I have going at home!

The top secret dregs are slowly building up to the point I can play with them. Do you want me to build it up and send you some right away after I verify and separate it?

I look forward to stressing some of that ecy.

Also, I'm just banking those and checking them out under the scope right?

I need to read about these yeasts. It seems like it would be rad to use it but I've never done anything but rehydrate dry and pitch it.

It's pretty simple, I suggest picking up this book

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/150590...86607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

But to start using liquid yeast just a basic understanding and the ability to mix up a simple starter is all you need. I'd gladly help answer any questions you have. And if I'm not around all of these guys except gabe are very helpful :p

Channel66 said:
Actually I've got just the thing for that, I made my most recent Belgian IPA with my pale yeast blended with low levels of brett b and a mutation of b. Let's the hops shine through providing just that little bit of funk on the nose and mid pallet.

Awesome. That sounds like what I'm looking for with that particular beer.

Channel66 said:
Those are growing in the lab. This is just what I have going at home! The top secret dregs are slowly building up to the point I can play with them. Do you want me to build it up and send you some right away after I verify and separate it? I look forward to stressing some of that ecy. Also, I'm just banking those and checking them out under the scope right? It's pretty simple, I suggest picking up this book http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/15059022?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222228000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem But to start using liquid yeast just a basic understanding and the ability to mix up a simple starter is all you need. I'd gladly help answer any questions you have. And if I'm not around all of these guys except gabe are very helpful :p
That's way to funny. If you hit the link and then look at the viewers also looked at section on the bottom. It says spring valley natural brewers yeast and bread yeast!

Those are growing in the lab. This is just what I have going at home!

The top secret dregs are slowly building up to the point I can play with them. Do you want me to build it up and send you some right away after I verify and separate it?

I look forward to stressing some of that ecy.

Also, I'm just banking those and checking them out under the scope right?

It's pretty simple, I suggest picking up this book

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/150590...86607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

But to start using liquid yeast just a basic understanding and the ability to mix up a simple starter is all you need. I'd gladly help answer any questions you have. And if I'm not around all of these guys except gabe are very helpful :p

That'll teach me to vote for Ozzy! Ok, I'm not helpful, it's true.

No hurry on the holy grail, just send it whenever you have the rest of the yeast ready to go. Keep me posted on what you find, though. Did I send you some ECY02 slurry? I just dumped a ton of it down the drain, but that was from a 1.092 beer and the 2nd or 3rd gen so probably not in very good shape. On the straight brett stuff, yes, just banking and looking at to see how dirty I am. The small vial (I think) should have three different brett strains.

Did I tell you I think some guys from my club are going to hook me up with some more stir plates, maybe a microscope, possibly a hood as well as other lab gear? :D

Holy balls, the Vols are down to the wire with another top 25 SEC team this week. Gah!

WOOT! Just beat SC!!!!

Latest posts

Back