Harvested Lambic dregs - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmnop

Reaction score
I put the dregs of a bottle of 3 Fontienen Oude Geuze into a starter last night. How long should I leave it on the stir plate? Is the normal 24hrs good, or will lambic yeasts need longer?

Also if anyone has any links to give me tips about what to do with this yeast, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd move this to the lambic forum, probably get better responses. If your intent is to use the dregs to completely ferment out the beer and not an addition to a sacc primary fermentation you want to build up to a lager size starter and expect each step to take longer than stepping up sacc...maybe a week per step. However, I'm currently playing with brett and haven't made a lambic yet (hoping my wife gets me a few barrels for my birthday for my lambic brewing dreams) so my thoughts are based on what I have read and not practical experience.

If you are really prepared to make a lambic, prepare your wheat beer base and pitch what you have. You will probably want to pitch it liquid and all, since some of the bacteria doesn't flocc as quickly as yeast and you need those for souring.

Then sit back and forget about it for a year.

Latest posts

Back