Attempting Supplication clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I realize this thread has been quiet for a while, but I have been digging through it over the last few months and made to jump into my first sour with a slightly modified supplication clone from this thread.
My major modification was that I pitched Wyeast Roeselare along with White Labs Abbey Ale at primary. I ended up with over 6 gallons, so after a month in the primary, I racked to two separate carboys. I'm debating on adding cherries to half the batch and blackberries to the other half. Either way, the great/frustrating part of this is that I get to think about it for the next year. Here is a pellicle pic from each carboy and thanks again for everything on this thread.

Supplication Pellicle 2.jpg

Supplication Pellicle 1.jpg

Hi All,

I realize this thread has been quiet for a while, but I have been digging through it over the last few months and made to jump into my first sour with a slightly modified supplication clone from this thread.
My major modification was that I pitched Wyeast Roeselare along with White Labs Abbey Ale at primary. I ended up with over 6 gallons, so after a month in the primary, I racked to two separate carboys. I'm debating on adding cherries to half the batch and blackberries to the other half. Either way, the great/frustrating part of this is that I get to think about it for the next year. Here is a pellicle pic from each carboy and thanks again for everything on this thread.

Looks like it's coming along nicely!

I re-brewed this recipe back in March and recently pulled a sample. It's tasting great, has that sour cherry flavor already (despite there being no fruit in the beer yet). I'm going to switch it up and add 5lbs of raspberries this time around to make something more similar to Jackie O's Evelyn (sour brown w/ raspberries).

Thanks Boralyl,
Next question is how many pounds of fruit people are adding per gallon on this beer? I picked up some med.toast oak spirals but I am leaning towards blackberry and cherry for my shot. Thanks!

Thanks Boralyl,
Next question is how many pounds of fruit people are adding per gallon on this beer? I picked up some med.toast oak spirals but I am leaning towards blackberry and cherry for my shot. Thanks!

http://threegodsbrewing.com/2012/10/20/supplication-clone-bottling-and-tasting/

Based on my post I added 4 pounds of bing cherries. I typically go 1 pound per gallon unless it's a fruit that isn't as flavorful like blueberries. Than I go 1.5-2lbs per gallon.

I just added ~6lbs of raspberries to my 2nd batch of this beer I brewed 3/2015. Hopefully will be bottling in March of this year.

Thanks for that great info Boralyl. I will try to get cherries sometime this summer when they are in season where I am at. How did you use the oak chips and when did you use them?

Question on the microbes in RR beers. I wanted to brew up a Supplication style clone, but no longer have any bottles of Supplication for harvesting dregs. I do have a nice starter from Consecration though. Think it would work about the same? Not sure how the microbes used differ between the two.

Also have bottles of Temptation, FFAC, and Beatification I plan on harvesting from in the future, if one of those would be more ideal.

Question on the microbes in RR beers. I wanted to brew up a Supplication style clone, but no longer have any bottles of Supplication for harvesting dregs. I do have a nice starter from Consecration though. Think it would work about the same? Not sure how the microbes used differ between the two.

Also have bottles of Temptation, FFAC, and Beatification I plan on harvesting from in the future, if one of those would be more ideal.

Temptation or consecration would be fine. But RR does bottle condition with wine yeast and do not know if they use a killer wine yeast strain or not. Someone here can probably chime in on that one.

Temptation or consecration would be fine. But RR does bottle condition with wine yeast and do not know if they use a killer wine yeast strain or not. Someone here can probably chime in on that one.
Beatification and Sanctification aren't bottled with Rockpile wine yeast or champagne yeast, but the others are I believe. Rockpile is a killer strain from what I have read on themadfermentationist. I read a comment of his on one of the articles that said pitching the dregs of the beers bottled with Rockpile will work fine, but also just read that growning the dregs up may produce too much wine yeast. Bummer, looks like that Consecration starter I have is no bueno. Maybe I can still use it for a weird project for some extra wort.

Quick question on wine and bottling yeast. How much are you using at bottling and what is your target level of carbonation?

Quick question on wine and bottling yeast. How much are you using at bottling and what is your target level of carbonation?

I added 6.2 oz of table sugar to get 3.7 volumes of carbonation. Ended up with just under 5 gallons in the bottling bucket. Used 1/4 packet of Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast in the bottling bucket to carbonate.

Thanks for that great info Boralyl. I will try to get cherries sometime this summer when they are in season where I am at. How did you use the oak chips and when did you use them?

I ended up not using the oak chips at all in either of the 2 batches I've made.

I ended up not using the oak chips at all in either of the 2 batches I've made.

Thanks for that. I'll have to do some mini-tests on the oak to see how much flavor I can stand. I'm not really a fan of oaked beers anyways and I like the sour aspects so much that I may do the same as you.

Made an awesome clone here is what i did with it, grew yeast from one bottle of supplication. Pitched into wort 6 gallon OG 1.057 IBU 21 primary fermentation was slow but active kept chugging along. After 2 months SG 1.002 added 20 oz. jar german marello cherries in light syrup and 8 oak cubes soaked with one cup pinot noir. At 5 months added 32 oz 100% tart cherry juice, at 6 months added another 32 oz jar of tart cherry juice. It has been in primary for 7 months and OG is 1.002.

Just an update on my clone. I used Roeselare and didnt quite get the level of acidity I wanted. Added 1lb/gallon raspberries and will bottle soon. Next time I will lower my ibus and pitch some good dregs to get things where I like em: more sour.

Bringing this thread back from the dead. So I Brewed my beer around springtime of 2012. After pitching the dregs of the supplication, this thing has sat for 7 years and I still haven't bottled it! Thinking of bottling it sometime soon. I will definitely need to add some yeast at bottling to get any carbonation. I just tried it the other day, it has a little hint of a vinegar presence, such as you would get in a duchesse de bourgogne, and a nice Flanders Brown flavor. I never added oak or any cherries to it yet. It has a beautiful color, here is what it's looking like.

Attachments

• 20191014_182908.jpg
    20191014_182908.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Back