Can You Aerate the Wort in the Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
I have seen some people say "dont move the carboy a lot during primary as you may aerate the wort"

My thoughts are this: Once fermentation has been kicking for a while... all that is in there is carbon dioxide and wort.... so if it is moved around... it really will not get oxygen in it right?

I am not advocating moving a primary a lot... Just curious as to the science of it so to speak...

I know that sometimes when I move my fermenters, the airlock liquid will get sucked back into it if I don't take it out first. If it can suck that in, it can suck some outside air in.

Not a big worry, but every little bit helps.

I have seen some people say "dont move the carboy a lot during primary as you may aerate the wort"

My thoughts are this: Once fermentation has been kicking for a while... all that is in there is carbon dioxide and wort.... so if it is moved around... it really will not get oxygen in it right?

I am not advocating moving a primary a lot... Just curious as to the science of it so to speak...

Good question. I've wondered about that too. Maybe it's more of an issue with buckets that may not seal too well and the non-sealing fermenters like Mr. Beer - where if you move it it can change shape and suck air in - especially cause they're plastic. I have a better bottle carboy that I don't like specifically because when I move it, it likes to change shape and suck stuff from the airlock in...

Moving your primary around can also swirl up that ring of trub that is always around the the top of the bucket and that stuff is very,very bitter, and not good to get into your beer.I read that in Palmer's "How To Brew"

Back