The pack is smacked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braddock

Reaction score
My kit from Williams Brewing, my bottles from Rebel Brewer, and my Bayou Classic via Amazon all arrived Friday. In an unbelievable trifecta FedEx has made my first home brew possible this Labor Day. The yeast pack got smacked in the pm Friday and I'm impatiently watching it swell. I have faith we are going to do this thing tomorrow. I've started whispering little words of encouragement to my shiny yeast pack...it seems to help.

Are you sure you broke the inner packet when you smacked it? Mine usually blow up like a balloon in about 4 hours.

I heard the inner packet pop and it has swollen since Friday night. It's just nowhere near as bloated as it should be. It's a Wyeast 1187 from a Williams Brewing India Pale Ale kit. It's been sitting in the guest bathroom at a steady 72 degrees Fahrenheit. The labeling from Wyeast says 3 hours or more till ready, but a little orange sticker has been added that says it could take days.

I actually don't mind pitching a slightly swollen activator to something < 1.055, but I guess i wouldn't really advise it. Def agree that you could make a starter with it.

A starter may be in my future. This is my first kit and I was trying to stick to the plan. I'm going to give it the night and see. I may be making my first starter very soon. Time to do some reading on starters. From here on everything is a learning experience.

Back