Beersmith Inventory Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memphomaniac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've poked around a bit, but I haven't been able to find anything on this question. I'm trying to put in an inventory for the first time. Is there a way to differentiate between leaf and pellet hops of the same variety? I see the dropdown, but it doesn't want to separate the two in the inventory. What am I missing? Thanks.

You need a seperate item for each type. Insert the leaf, and then insert the pellets.

I find the inventory function pretty useless. I assumed that if you brewed a recipe that it would subtract the items from your inventory, but it doesn't. It also seems that once you add an item to inventory it can't be deleted.

If I'm wrong someone please correct. I'd like to see this functionality in BS.

You need a seperate item for each type. Insert the leaf, and then insert the pellets.

I find the inventory function pretty useless. I assumed that if you brewed a recipe that it would subtract the items from your inventory, but it doesn't. It also seems that once you add an item to inventory it can't be deleted.

When you brew the recipe, hit the button at the top that says "remove from inventory"
Also if you really want something gone, just right click it and delete, else set inventory on hand to 0 to remove from current inventory, but still have the opportunity to add more inventory later.
If it wasn't for the inventory feature I never would have purchased beersmith. I buy all my grains at one time each year, 600# of base malt, and 5 - 10 pounds each of 15 or so specialty malts. I also buy hops 6 or 8 pounds at a time to last a year. I would be totally lost without that inventory feature!

I've poked around a bit, but I haven't been able to find anything on this question. I'm trying to put in an inventory for the first time. Is there a way to differentiate between leaf and pellet hops of the same variety? I see the dropdown, but it doesn't want to separate the two in the inventory. What am I missing? Thanks.

I add new items so that I can also differentiate harvest years for my hops. Example: say I have some Amarillo pellet and leaf hops from both 2007 and 2008. Choose hops on the left, right click on amarillo, copy then paste. Do that 3 times so you have four amarillos, then double click on each one and change the properties. Name the first Amarillo2007 and put in the AA% and the type, pellet or leaf, and do that for each one.
It's not as complicated as it sounds once you do it a few times!

Under the recipe view on the top bar there will be a button labeled 'remove from inventory' click it and it will all will be done. It is in between 'add to list' and 'scale'.

When you brew the recipe, hit the button at the top that says "remove from inventory"
Also if you really want something gone, just right click it and delete, else set inventory on hand to 0 to remove from current inventory, but still have the opportunity to add more inventory later.
If it wasn't for the inventory feature I never would have purchased beersmith. I buy all my grains at one time each year, 600# of base malt, and 5 - 10 pounds each of 15 or so specialty malts. I also buy hops 6 or 8 pounds at a time to last a year. I would be totally lost without that inventory feature!

Thanks! It works now that I know about the button.

I add new items so that I can also differentiate harvest years for my hops. Example: say I have some Amarillo pellet and leaf hops from both 2007 and 2008. Choose hops on the left, right click on amarillo, copy then paste. Do that 3 times so you have four amarillos, then double click on each one and change the properties. Name the first Amarillo2007 and put in the AA% and the type, pellet or leaf, and do that for each one.
It's not as complicated as it sounds once you do it a few times!

You know what I wish Beersmith would do?

When you pull up a recipe, highlight the things in the recipe that aren't in your inventory, because I really hate hitting "remove from inventory" and then it telling me that it only partially removed the recipe because I had 2-Row US instead of 2-Row Can listed in the recipe. Some indication would be nice.

That, and in the Add Hops/Add Grain menus inside recipes, tell you how much you have on hand. When you click that "only show items in inventory", it would be nice to know when you default added 1lb that you only have .25 lb.

Back