best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen Walls of Jericho mentioned yet. If you love the hotness that is Lacuna Coil's singer, Candice from Walls of Jericho will knock off your socks.

candance2zx4.jpg

We need more mentions for Strapping Young Lad and 3 Inches of Blood.

Didn't read through the whole thread, but Opeth is pretty sick! The previous CD to the newest one (which is awesome, btw), Ghost Reveries, is my favorite overall metal album. If you havn't heard them, check it out! Plus, they have some ridiculous number of CD's out from super-heavy **** to more melodic stuff.

kill The Orcs! slay The Orcs! Distroy The Orcs!!!

also, imho Stillife or Blackwater Park are the best Opeth albums, Ghost Reveries and the one before it were kinda weak.

also, imho Stillife or Blackwater Park are the best Opeth albums, Ghost Reveries and the one before it were kinda weak.

I see where you're coming from, both of those are great but were more "metal" I suppose. I liked Ghost Reveries because it still had the awesome crunching guitar riffs and the growling but had some melodic inserts spread out through the songs. +1 for the previous one being weak.

And hey, I don't know if Tool is exactly metal, but they're still a bad ass band, and are all great musicians that make some incredibly complex songs.

Oh, and PRIMUS SUCKS!

Acid metal?

Didn't read through the whole thread, but Opeth is pretty sick! The previous CD to the newest one (which is awesome, btw), Ghost Reveries, is my favorite overall metal album. If you havn't heard them, check it out! Plus, they have some ridiculous number of CD's out from super-heavy **** to more melodic stuff.

Opeth used to be pretty good. i saw them live and they did nothing but their newer stupid melodic whiney stuff...turned me off forever. saw lamb of god and megadeth that day, too. great show. lamb of god is awesome live, and i like some of their stuff, but a lot of it is far too nu-metal bull****.

Lamb of God isn't numetal, it's metal-core which also has quite a few bands in it that suck out loud. pretty good ones in the metalcore genre though are Living Sacrifice and Soul Embraced. Both quite awesome, and seem to have some sort of fetish with 3/4 time signitures, sorta like how Opeth love the 6/8 time soooo much.

i dunno, they kinda skip around. hardcore, nu-metal, etc. kinda all sounds like mixed genre crap anyway...it's tough to define the style sometimes. i'm not a fan of metal-core in general, tho, i kinda throw that in the mix as well.

give me halford or judas priest any day of the week. handing out bullets is one of my favorites:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jv06cTErPI]YouTube - Rob Halford - Handing Out Bullets[/ame]

I can't believe no one spotted that this is a trick question. If you have to listen to metal there is only one band worthwhile.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb052CExbUI]YouTube - Motorhead - No Class[/ame]

Greatest of all time has to be defaulted to maiden/priest/dio.. something in there.

That said, give me AMON AMARTH

amon%20amarth%20with%20oden.jpg

Gonna go see them in worscester tomorrow. cannot wait

I vote AC/DC if they fit this class. I just finished watching them in concert on VH! classic in concert on the surround sound. Freaking awesome when combined with some homebrew, even at 9 AM in the morning.

Although not metal I do love me some Deftones.
Opeth is still awesome, even with the more melodic new stuff from Watershed. and Ghost reveries does kick some ass. Deliverance is my favorite

No one has mentioned MASTODON

I've seen them live a few times and they're rockin as sh*t. Gotta love a band that can base an album on Moby Dick.

The Red Chord and Chimaira are also pretty sweet.

I vote AC/DC if they fit this class. I just finished watching them in concert on VH! classic in concert on the surround sound. Freaking awesome when combined with some homebrew, even at 9 AM in the morning.

I only participate in this thread because of this post. AC/DC is the end all, be all, of anything metal, hard rock, whatever you want to call it. There will never, ever, be another band that can produce the energy.

BON SCOTT LIVES

:rockin:

Gotta say, I read this entire thread and saw not ONE mention of Symphony X...Musically incredible, Epic lyrics (if you are into that kind of thing), and AMAZING lead vocals...one of my favorites anyway in that Epic Metal Category...

I LOVE Lacuna Coil! I saw them about 2 years ago in Tucson, and one of their opening acts was a band called The Haunted...DEFFINATELY worth a listen...pick up The Flood, and listen to the entire album...its brutally heavy, but with actual smart lyrics! Its fantastic stuff.:rockin::rockin::rockin:

I LOVE Lacuna Coil! I saw them about 2 years ago in Tucson, and one of their opening acts was a band called The Haunted...DEFFINATELY worth a listen...pick up The Flood, and listen to the entire album...its brutally heavy, but with actual smart lyrics! Its fantastic stuff.:rockin::rockin::rockin:

The Haunted is pretty killer

symphony x russell allen :rockin:

Gotta say, I read this entire thread and saw not ONE mention of Symphony X...Musically incredible, Epic lyrics (if you are into that kind of thing), and AMAZING lead vocals...one of my favorites anyway in that Epic Metal Category...

Back