5.2pH Buffer Buildup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Hi team

Im starting to get a pretty nice buildup on the inside of my thermo probes and pumps from the 5.2pH buffer Ive been using. For those of you who use this awesome stuff, how do you get the buildup off? Im not sure where the average homebrewer finds themselves some caustic cleaners, and Im not sure if that would even be good idea to use on my silicone hoses.......

Thanks

Have you tried PBW?

Lye, or sodium hydroxide, is the classic caustic cleaner. It is widely available on the internet. It is extremely caustic, so dilute it a lot. Not good for contact with brass. Or your eyes or skin. Wear gloves and eye protection.

CIP cleaners might work.

Have you tried PBW?

Lye, or sodium hydroxide, is the classic caustic cleaner. It is widely available on the internet. It is extremely caustic, so dilute it a lot. Not good for contact with brass. Or your eyes or skin. Wear gloves and eye protection.

Ya Ive done the normal PBW rinse, however I think Im going to run near boiling PBW through the system before I brew next.

Now you got me thinking though.....my QDs are brass so a good caustic is probably not what I should be using anyway.

Thanks

It could be calcium deposits, in which case good old vinegar should do the trick. Or you could use some CLR or Lime away if it is really stubborn. 5.2 plus high calcium water = calcium phosphate which is not very soluble in regular water

Back