High calorie content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I did my first all-grain. It was Biermunchers cream of three crops recipe..(Thank you BM) I just racked it to a keg and took my final gravity. It also tasted great. I can't wait until I pull a few pints. Anyway, I punched in the gravity readings in beersimth on the alcohol and attenuation page. It said the total calories were 265 per pint. The ABV was also 6.8%...Does the calorie count seem a little high for such a light beer? Now I've never stressed about calories, especially since I started homebrewing. Beersmith is great. You can get a lot of info..Maybe too much.

BTW, I wasn't trying to make a light beer. I guess I never really payed attention to the calories before.

If it is 6.8% ABV that does not qualify as a lite beer.:)

I am not a Beersmith user but the calories don't seem off all that much considering the ABV.

Alcohol has 7 Calories per gram. A pint of 6.8% ABV will have almost 175 Calories just from the alcohol.

Not to highjack my own thread but, I just kegged this batch recently and put it my kegerator this morning. I wanted to take a taste. I pulled a pint just now and it was loaded with trub pieces floating all around. Usually I rack to a secondary to clear a bit. This time It went straight from primary to keg. How long will it take to settle out?

Give it a couple days. Hell try it after one. Hell try it in a few hours.

One of the great things about kegging.

Yep, sugar and starch has 4 calories per gram, but alcohol has 7 cals/gram (incidentally fat has 9cals/gram).

So, a bigger 6.8% beer would indeed have more calories than a Michelob Ultra, which has fewer cals and signficiantly less alcohol

I don't know what happened. I thought I was following directions. It was my first all grain.I think I'm brewing again this weekend. BierMunchers Kolsch recipe. We'll see...

You did notice that the recipe was for a 10 gallon batch right? Didn't use the 10 gal. bill for a 5 gal. recipe? That would do the trick.

Back