Does kolsch mean "messy" in German?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I just racked a killer kolsch to the secondary today, but man, is that ever a messy yeast. It's my third batch using that yeast, but first ever AG kolsch.

My experience in the past is that it takes forever to clear up, but once it does, the wait is well, well worth it. Sure wish they could come up with a "new and improved" clean fermenting variety, though.

Now, the worst thing is I have to wait to drink it. The first time I made one I made the mistake of drinking some before it was ready. I got discouraged with it and "forgot" about the rest for a couple of months. When I re-discovered it, I found that I had Nectar of the Gods. Only problem was I only had about a half a case left!

I was just talking to the guys at the homebrew shop the other day. They seemed to be of the opinion that the VSS kolsch yeast currently out by wyeast seemed to settle a little better and clear faster. I'm planning to make a kolsch in the coming weeks, and think I will try that one.

For what it's worth, when I am trying to use a higher fermenting yeast to make clean lager style beers I always use 2112 California Lager. It ferments up just as high as the kolsch, leaves a nice solid clean malt back bone, and clears up very nicely and quickly. I also add gelatin at the secondary. If you bottle, it makes a compact cake at the bottom that doesn't disturb very easily.

Back