Rogue's new Beard Beer (yeast cultured from brewmasters John Maier's beard)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was an April Fools' joke until I saw the date the article was posted.

u gonna try it out?

If I can get it. A co worker lives in SF and I've put him on a mission to see if they have 22's there. If it's only on tap I probably won't make the trek there unless I find free time. But I'm pretty busy with my hop garden and brew sculpture adjustments this weekend.

From the check ins on Untappd its a Belgian Golden Ale and has about a 3.5-4 star rating.

Managed to pick a bottle up this weekend. Won't be able to try it till this weekend though.

Is this what Rogue has been reduced to?
Marketing stunts on questionable beer choices...
Bacon maple and now this.
What's up Rogue, what happened?

Andrikos, I couldn't agree more. Rogue is one if my favorite breweries who always made big complex beers. This new stuff they are putting out is throwing me off. I understand they want to be unique and creative but save most if that stuff for the brewpubs. Just seems like they keep using gimmick's.

I agree with some of what you two said. While there donut collaboration beers are awful in my opinion, this beard beer has a fairly decent rating on Untappd for how few tastings there have been so far.

I for one would totally use a yeast I found if it promised to make good beer. I think this is less gimmicky, more "whoa, whod'a thought."

If the shark hasn't been jumped yet, just wait for the batch they cook up using yeast from <fill in your favorite female celebrity>'s patootie...

Cheers! ;)

I agree with some of what you two said. While there donut collaboration beers are awful in my opinion, this beard beer has a fairly decent rating on Untappd for how few tastings there have been so far.

I for one would totally use a yeast I found if it promised to make good beer. I think this is less gimmicky, more "whoa, whod'a thought."

Got a bottle at the Rogue tent at the portland saturday market.. the beer is ehh IMO, I am by no means a beer expert but it seems like a good sessionable light beer.. it reminded me of a really good Coors, Miller, Bud style beer and there was very small head retention

I probably wouldnt buy one again since those style light beers are not my thing

I like Rogue but I am firmly in the "not interested" camp. I also think it's gross. Come on, guys. Craft beer is getting big, and it seems harder every month to stand out, but you don't have to do things that are this wild. Just make good beer. I don't want to think about some other dude's nappy beard while sipping a pint.

I like Rogue but I am firmly in the "not interested" camp. I also think it's gross. Come on, guys. Craft beer is getting big, and it seems harder every month to stand out, but you don't have to do things that are this wild. Just make good beer. I don't want to think about some other dude's nappy beard while sipping a pint.

You realize he didn't dip his beard into the wort, right? A few hairs were sent to white labs, a yeast was isolated and grown. Just like every yeast that ever got a start at a yeast lab (minus the beard part). All yeasts used in brewing were wild at some point.

Thats AWESOME! The second link is for a yeast that was cultured from: "Vaginal isolate from patient recently treated with Clotrimazole, Antwerp, Belgium." - Now that sounds like an interesting yeast to try, huh? If I had to choose between those two you posted I would have to go with this one over the one taken from the stool sample.

I can see the beer now:

"This Belgium style ale is brewed with a delicate balance of German malts and noble hops. The addition of the vaginal yeast adds the complex taste that you just cannot find in other beers."

I have no problem with yeast from whatever part of the body. It's not like the beer is going to end up tasting like hair or something.

I remember reading a zymurgy article by Charlie Papazian some years ago where he brewed beer with yeast taken from his hair and skin samples. I don't see the big deal. It's just yeast. Maybe if he took a bath in the wort-filled fermenter which then spontaneously fermented I would think twice about drinking it.

You realize he didn't dip his beard into the wort, right? A few hairs were sent to white labs, a yeast was isolated and grown. Just like every yeast that ever got a start at a yeast lab (minus the beard part). All yeasts used in brewing were wild at some point.

Obviously. That doesn't make it any less disgusting in my opinion.

Rogue kinda sucks nowdays...I'm sure some people will disagree, probably a lot of people actually, but their stuff is overpriced and trying to be too off the wall. They don't have a decent beer in any standard style. even dead guy ale has been surpassed by a ton of local breweries with far cheaper price-tags. I don't care if anyone considers me wrong; I see these guys as fakin the funk these days. Your product should speak for itself, not the stupid one-off idea. farking beard beer...stupid marketing ploy IMO.

This is a far reaching marketing ploy, and lame at that - what happen to the awesome company that put out nice hoppy beers in bombers?

The whole brewer as a celebrity thing is a little nuts and this just proves it.

Had the beer last night. It's really nice. Nuthin über special but its crisp with pear and banana notes. A little bit of clove as well. I enjoyed it.

Thats AWESOME! The second link is for a yeast that was cultured from: "Vaginal isolate from patient recently treated with Clotrimazole, Antwerp, Belgium." - Now that sounds like an interesting yeast to try, huh? If I had to choose between those two you posted I would have to go with this one over the one taken from the stool sample.

Well, apparently this was pretty popular...

http://http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/18/elephant-dung-beer-sells-out-almost-immediately/

The donut beers aren't good. The beard beer is very good. I had it months ago (I live in oregon) and it is very complex and surprisingly flavorful.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had the beard beer at a Beer and Cheese tasting night a few months back. I found it a little funky, almost like a Belgian strain. It definitely had some complexity, but the funkiness kept me thinking about beard hair. I found the beer to be good but not something I would buy again.

C'mon people, do you have any idea how much urine, feces, bugs, etc. You ingest in a lifetime? This stuff was scrubbed in a biology lab. Wake up people, your no cleaner than a dog who licks its own ass. The ones who are cleaner are germaphobes and are sick with skin legions and poor immune systems due to the way they live.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Sometimes peoples senses are linked to psychology. Five dollars says you wouldn't drink a beer made with bacteria/yeast from a dogs ass, even if it was scubbed, purified and cultured in a lab setting.

Haha! It's on! Find me some dog poo beer :beer:

I would, however, be tentative of dog poo homebrew. If I can find someone@the university to pull some yeast out of crap I will brew it.

We need to name it though. Maybe DCIPA?

I see your bet and raise you... if I can brew it I send you a bottle as well!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I agree about Rogue's over gimmicky approach to beer. They have truly whore'd themselves out IMHO. However, gross? The thought if it most certainly is. But all of those Belgian open wild fermented beers have yeast from things you probably wouldn't even want to know about(rat feces, decaying plants/animals, urine etc...). It is just easier to not know about where it comes from. Kinda like hotdogs. The real bad part is a brewery that can truly make great beer has proven that it doesn't matter what they make, somebody will buy it. I won't buy the beard beer. But not because of the beer involvement. Because I believe they have turned the craft brew crowd into a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back