I think I killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrob123

Reaction score
starter. I let it ferment for three days, pulled it out to warm up and pitch, ended up putting it back in the fridge, pulled it out and then pitched it once it was room temp.

This was a smack pack that was near expiration. I added yeast food to the starter and was able to make a nice cake.

I pitched the yeast three days ago and I haven't seen any signs of fermentation in my air lock. I haven't taken any gravity readings since pitching.

Would it mess the taste of the beer up too badly to re-pitch with a fresh, up to date smack pack?

If not, any ideas on how to kick start this bad boy?

BTW, it's a Kolsch and I used 2565 as the yeast.

Before you do anything, I would take a gravity reading. Sometimes, fermentation is still occuring even without signs of it in the airlock.

If it hasn't done anything, then I would try swirling your fermenter a little bit to get the yeast back up into suspension. Also, try warming it up a bit if you're fermenting on the cooler side.

I would use repitching as a last resort. It's very hard to kill yeast. Most of the time, they just get confused into stopping early with all the temp changes.

Back