Confused?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potsy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Please forgive my ignorance but i'm a bit confused.

I started my first ever brew today all went well.

The Lid is on the fermenting bucket and in the dark at the right temp.

What confused me was the instructions I got with my kit, basicaly I got a beginners equipment pack which consists of my fermentation bucket, beer paddle etc, this came with instructions which imply that I should leave the fermetation bucket alone now for 5-7 days in the dark for the fementation to take place. I also got a Mashed beer kit which I used. This also comes with it's own instructions which tell me to leave the beer paddle in the bucket for daily stirring. Daily stirring? Should I take the lid off and stir it daily? I thought the sedament was supposed to stay on top?

Thanks in advance for any help

No need to stir, and every time you open up the bucket you add to the risk of contamination. Leave it alone for a week, then check the gravity to see if it's done fermenting.

Sometimes, for some English ale yeasts which fall out of suspension really quickly, they want you to stir it up a bit to keep the yeast in suspension and fermenting well. I recommend you leave the lid on, though, and just pick the bucket up by the handle and "twirl" it a little. That lifts the yeast up off the bottom a bit without having to open the bucket or disturb the fermenting beer much (cuz you don't want to shake it at this point). Good luck.

Monk

Back