Kegerator- What's cheaper in the long run in regards to parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting a free, stand up refridgerator that'll hold four corny kegs. I have started the long task of reading how to convert these things. My question is what would be cheaper in the long run;

A. Screw it and buy a conversion kit from a LHBS or online.
B. Part it out piece by piece through the people I know in the industry/local homebrew club in hopes to eventually getting it done.
4. Part it out via fleaBay or LHBS piece by piece.

Also, should I start out with a two tap unit or go all out with a four tap unit? Can I upgrade easly from two taps to four taps down the road?

Now, mind you it's winter and the pipes are frozen so I'm on brewing hyatous(sp?) until March probably. This will give me the money to get this project done so I'm planning on my time table being from now until March. What's everyone's thoughts and once again, thanks in advance. :rockin: :mug:

I would go with forward seal faucets (perlick) and stainless shanks whatever route you take. I think for ease of mind I would find the lowest cost new retail so you have recourse in case you have a mismatch in threads etc on a shank / faucet.

If you go two tap and add on, be sure you can get matching faucets down the road. I have the older style perlick taps and they are getting hard to find. I personally don't mind a mix of tap styles but keep that in mind. Also think about the spacing of the taps before you drill the holes!

If your refrigerator will hold 4 kegs then make sure you measure the placement for 4 taps, you may only want two now but you'll want all four flowing eventually and you'll want the taps evenly spaced on your fridge. You can just order two tap setups now and can easily put in others one at a time.

I would go with forward seal faucets (perlick) and stainless shanks whatever route you take. I think for ease of mind I would find the lowest cost new retail so you have recourse in case you have a mismatch in threads etc on a shank / faucet.!

This. I though, hell, everyone has used these standard rear sealing faucets for years blah blah blah I'll save the $12 per and get the older style.

Now I've 6 standard rear sealing faucets to swap out, one at a time to sneak it under the Budget Officers nose... :mad:

Buying a kit w/ all the parts is the easiest way to go. It is cheaper if you can hunt down deals via the second hand market but that is always iffy??? You can always start out using picnic taps and add faucets when the budget permits.

I agree with the others on buy good stuff now (stainless shanks, forward sealing faucets) because you will buy them eventually.

I also recommend flare fittings everywhere. I use to think there was an argument for barbed fittings since the flare fittings are more likely to leak (not very likely, but the barbs are extremely close to zero), but over time I have come to appreciate the flexibility of have flare fittings on everything.

I think starting out with 2 faucets is not a bad idea unless funds are unlimited. If you are going with forward sealing faucets and stainless shanks, you are starting to push $100 per line for faucet, shank, tubing, gas manifold, disconnects etc

Definitely buy 2 sets of the good stuff over 4 of cheaper stuff.

oh and those refrigerator doors are deceivingly thicker than they look, don't go shorter than 4" on the shank

Im just getting started with the homebrew gig for a second time. (exwife kept all my old equipment.) I will be picking up a free fridge today. Its a side by side and the guy says that the freezer side doesn't work. A bunch of the posts here and elsewhere make it sound like an airflow problem etc etc etc. Regardless I was thinking about turning one side into a keggorator with taps on the door and then the other side into a constant heat side for fermantation.

Back