Immerse temp probe in wort during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
I currently have a johnson temp control unit (analog) that either turns my chest freezer on/off depending on the temp. Right now, the temperature probe responds to the air around it--is it possible to immerse the probe in the fermenting wort to get better temperature control?

I currently have a temperature sticker on the outside of the carboy and I lower the temperature in order to get that number down to proper fermentation temperatures. I feel as though there is too much trial/error in the early stages of fermentation when the yeast is taking off--plus not knowing when the fermentation slows down (or not being awake) means inconsistent fermentation temperatures.

My goal is for the temperature regulation to be controlled by the real-time temperature of the wort, which would allow more constant temperatures depending upon the rate of fermentation. I would clean/sanitize the copper temperature probe, immerse it, and the temperature of the chest freezer would always be set in relation to the wort and not the air around the carboy. Possible problems? Alternate ideas?

I don't think it would be a good idea to immerse the probe.

If you just tape the probe directly to the side of the fermenter, then tape something over that, like some foam, to insulate the probe from the air temp, it'll pick up the temp of the wort.

The temperature of a liquid is always lower than that of the surrounding air, due to the evaporation cooling it down. I do not know if this is also true for wort in a sealed fermenter with an airlock. If it is, a probe in thermowell would be the way to go,...

walther,

Fermenting beer can actually run 5 - 10 degrees warmer than ambient air. I've heard that taping the probe to the side of the carboy as mentioned earlier will provide excellent results. If you decide to go with the thermowell, you should give brewershardware.com a look. Appears to be an excellent product at an excellent price.

Excellent ideas on the taping to the side and the thermowell--thank you all very much.

Back