using leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
Hi,
I just picked up leaf hops for the first time; do I throw them in the boil kettle in a muslin bag or naked (the hops)...ha

will boiling a bag for 90 mins add unwanted "bag flavor"

I ask because I use my autosiphon from the kettle to the fermenter, so I anticipated it'd be tricky to not get clogged with the leaf hops

thanks!

You can toss them in the kettle, but you have to have something to strain out the leaves when you syphon.

I use a hop bag and have been happy with it - no off flavors. Mine are made from non-bleached organic cotton, I believe.

Jim

Use the bag.

I use the bag for bittering hops, but usually throw the flavor/aroma in "naked".

Depends on the total amount... some IPA's have 1/ pound of hops, which is a whole lot of vegetable matter to work around. I will then use bags for most of the hops.

Do not pack them in... leave room for expansion and flow of the wort through the bag.

i put my hops in naked, seems there is better exchange that way. I also poor from pot to primary through a muslin bag to catch any matter. Some say that HSA is a problem this way but i have had no problems in 100's of batches. I poor at 80deg and the aerate thoroughly with an air matress pump and a homade filter.(vaccume cleaner hepa). Works great for me.

Back