N.M.O.D.B.S. Sparge volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
Bobby_M's NMODBS method specifically states not to over sparge and do longer boils, yet he mentions getting 88-92% efficiency. I routinely get 75% following his method to the letter of the law (once up to 80%). However, the general consensus appears to be to sparge with a 1/2 gallon of water per pound of grain. His method states to subtract your first runnings from your target boil volume to get to your sparge volume, so usually that's far less than 0.5 gallon/# grain.

How can he possibly get such good efficiency when he's sparging with so little water? I'm debating increasing sparge volume and lengthening boil times to get better efficiency. Good idea or bad?

Brian

Grain Crush most likely. But I am still not convinced that pH is not a factor. for no other reason than I like to make things difficult.

I'd say it's because Bobby_M is a brewing GOD!

Or it might be the crush, that would be my second guess.

Grain Crush most likely. But I am still not convinced that pH is not a factor. for no other reason than I like to make things difficult.

Yeah, I was guessing "grain crush" too. He likes it really fine, and my store doesn't make it nearly so fine. Still, I'm managing 75%-ish with reduced sparges. Would it be a good idea to increase the sparge volume and boil longer? I'm sure that would up the extract efficiency, but I'm wondering about the trade off on time and propane.

Would it be a good idea to increase the sparge volume and boil longer? I'm sure that would up the extract efficiency, but I'm wondering about the trade off on time and propane.

Tapping out on this one. I fly sparge and anything I write about batch sparge would be speculation.

Back