Ok to Lager on trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Subject says it all. Doing my first lager. It's fermented and in fridge still on trub. Do I have secondary it for lagering?

Subject says it all. Doing my first lager. It's fermented and in fridge still on trub. Do I have secondary it for lagering?

I do. I know that there are some who lager on the trub, but I prefer a super 'clean' tasting lager without yeast character so I always rack after the diacetyl rest and begin lagering.

I'm a fan of extended primaries - always at least 3-4 weeks, and I've primaried for 9-10 weeks with no discernible "yeasty" flavors. That being said, I plan to lager all of my lagers in secondary. To me, this just makes sense; you're below the recommended fermentation of the yeast, anyway... why leave it on the cake?

I've done it both ways and am of the opinion that if everything else is right it won't make much, if any, difference one way or the other.

I pull mine off. Yeast are way less prone to autolysis in home brewing setups so you might be able to pull it off. But why take the chance when there is little chance that it will do anything to improve the beer. I rack mine to the keg and that takes of the final step anyway.

I ferment at 51 for a week and raise to 61 for a couple of days then drop the temp back down and just let it roll. No problems so far, well except I keep running out of beer....

You don't "have to" rack for lagering. If you're doing a standard 5 or 10 gallon batch then you are very unlikely to begin autolysis in the 4 weeks of a standard lager.

If you have larger batches (greater absolute pressure on the yeast) or lager for a longer period then you might want to pull it off the trub.

Personally I always pull it off. Fr one thing I don't have to worry about how long it lagers but the real reason is that I keg and just lager in the keg which is super easy.

yeah i'll have to bottle mine at the moment so that sucks. I'm thinking i'll rack to secondary for a few more weeks (its been lagering for probably 2+ now.

I begin lagering in the primary and finish in the keg.

primary fermentation (12-14 days) --> D-rest (2 days) --> temp drop (a few degrees each day until ~35*F) --> add gelatin for clarity --> cold rest (2 days @ ~35*F) --> transfer to keg --> continue lagering in the keg @ ~35*F until ready (4-8 weeks).

This allows the majority of yeast/sediment to drop out of suspension before transferring to the keg, and then the majority of lagering time is done in the keg. I end up with very clear, crisp beer and almost no sediment in the bottom of the keg when it kicks.

I begin lagering in the primary and finish in the keg.

primary fermentation (12-14 days) --> D-rest (2 days) --> temp drop (a few degrees each day until ~35*F) --> add gelatin for clarity --> cold rest (2 days @ ~35*F) --> transfer to keg --> continue lagering in the keg @ ~35*F until ready (4-8 weeks).

This allows the majority of yeast/sediment to drop out of suspension before transferring to the keg, and then the majority of lagering time is done in the keg. I end up with very clear, crisp beer and almost no sediment in the bottom of the keg when it kicks.

I wonder though, by adding gelatin before the bulk of lagering aren't you dropping out the yeast before it can finish the aging/lagering process? Curious but since it's working for you I guess this isn't the case.

two_one_seven said:
I wonder though, by adding gelatin before the bulk of lagering aren't you dropping out the yeast before it can finish the aging/lagering process? Curious but since it's working for you I guess this isn't the case.

I was worried about that at first as well, but it doesn't seem to be an issue, at least for me.

I wonder if it would taste different if I waited until after lagering to add gelatin. Sounds like a good experiment for a split batch.

I was worried about that at first as well, but it doesn't seem to be an issue, at least for me.

I wonder if it would taste different if I waited until after lagering to add gelatin. Sounds like a good experiment for a split batch.

I like how you think.......

Back