Nugget Nectar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was disappointed with the ones I picked up too. Tasted like it was extremely salty and had a little butterscotch flavor.

Mine is still just chilling. Wanted to give it plenty of clwan up time.

usfmikeb said:
That's funny, cause I picked up a sixer last week and am loving it.

I got hooked last year to the grapefruityness. Just not there this year. Also seems like less body. Maybe I'm paying too much attention and not just drinking anymore. :(
Am I becoming snobbish. Haven't touched a bud miller in about a year. Lol

Haven't been able to get a case around here, been sold out soon as it comes in. I don't have great expectations this year though because its release was delayed 2 months, so wondering if they had some problems brewing it.

I have been looking everywhere for this and have yet to find even a single. Sounds like this year is bad, so hope the clone turns out well.

I'm not sure why people are saying this is a bad year. I've had a case, six pack, and several pint drafts so far. Every single one has been excellent. Maybe they're not being treated properly during transport?

I only live about 1 hour from the brewery, so that probably accounts for the freshness.

I live with in 10-15 minutes and there's problems getting it locally as well. I've had it on draft at the brewery and at a restaurant. It's just as good as it has been in the past. I just can't get a case of it until next week at the earliest I'm being told. My favorite distributor only got 7 they said. I don't know how accurate that is but no one had any in stock.

I've had it both in bottle and on draft in VA in past couple weeks, and its been great. Presently on draft at local craft beer pizzeria, and in bottles at Total.

NN sold out at distributors as soon as it was shipped, its becoming one of the 'pliny' beers, where people are waiting for it to drop and buying it up. We've had it on tap and its the same beer as last year.

To the poster wondering why took so long, they moved breweries and there was almost a month of downtime with no brewing from what I read.

I'm trying to make a clone of my own, but my local store is out of simcoe. Any way to make this with a substitution hop?

njrockpd said:
I'm trying to make a clone of my own, but my local store is out of simcoe. Any way to make this with a substitution hop?

Try online? I don't think there is a good substitute

EDIT**** Nevermind, i found my answer. So I am really confused about this recipe I saw in BYO. I have never had NN but I want to brew this. When I enter the attached recipe into Beersmith it says it will be 5.4% ABV. I know NN is 7.5% and looking at this recipe it doesn't look like near enough grain to get to 7.5%. Does anyone see or know what the issue is here ? I am hoping I can find all of the hops in the recipe.

scan0001.jpg

The ingredients in the above BYO recipe calls for 1.5 oz of Nugget for 90 minutes, but the instructions indicate only a 60 minute boil. Has anyone brewed this, or does anyone have any input on this? Also, Troegs claim "93ish IBUs" and BeerSmith gives me 64 with this recipe.

The ingredients in that BYO recipe calls for 1.5 oz of Nugget for 90 minutes, but the instructions indicate only a 60 minute boil. Has anyone brewed this, or does anyone have any input on this? Also, Troegs claim "93ish IBUs" and BeerSmith gives me 64 with this recipe.

It says to reduce the 90min to 60 in the all grain instructions.

So whos had this years batch? I think it is absolutely awesome! And I also have a batch of it fermenting, I think its been two weeks in primary so far. Another week and Im kegging and dry hopping.

So whos had this years batch? I think it is absolutely awesome! And I also have a batch of it fermenting, I think its been two weeks in primary so far. Another week and Im kegging and dry hopping.

I have never actually had the beer but my clone turned out to be one of the best beers I have ever brewed. I would love to try the real thing but they dont distribute here.

Oh, yes, just had my first of this year's and, DAMN, so good...better than I remember it from last year!
Gotta make a clone....what recipe did you go with??

Just finished my last of 2 6 packs that my took up from Harrisburg Pa. Im going to a store that has 2 more sixes put aside for me tomorrow as long as this snow stops. Id love to brew a clone of it, but dont know if one exists. The recipe seems to be top secret.

Oh, yes, just had my first of this year's and, DAMN, so good...better than I remember it from last year!
Gotta make a clone....what recipe did you go with??

I decided to tweak the couple different ones I've seen on here with what I had on hand and what I typically like in IPAs, so don't expect this to be a clone, more of a cousin or rude uncle.

Fwh to get a smooth bitterness. 94 IBU calculated but the real thing doesnt taste that bitter. There's some trickeration going on with those trogner bros. If I calculate as a 20 min addition ibus are around 70 which *feels* right.

I didn't have any warrior or Columbus so I went with all nugget, simcoe, and Amarillo in the boil. I may put some nugget into the dry hop too, well see. I figure even if its not the real thing I can't go wrong with that hop schedule.

Grain bill I believe is damn close based on preliminary tastes and color comparison. I did a side by side real thing vs primary sample and the only difference between the two was mine was a little yeasty (expected). There is definitely a lot of Vienna in the real deal.

Keep in mind this is 11.5 gallons to the fermenter.

Recipe: 00014 Nugget Nectar 2013 Clone
Brewer: Kevin
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.29 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.48 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 94.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
23 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 78.6 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.8 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.5 %
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 63.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 19.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 5.0 IBUs
2.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 29 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 37.56 qt of water at 171.2 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.55gal, 2.55gal, 2.55gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

Oh you may want to bump up the grain bill a bit if you want to get to 7.5%. I maxed out my cooler and accidently used too much sparge water so I ended up higher volume, less og. It was close enough for my liking.

i wasn't too impressed with this years batch, it didnt have enough flavor from the hops. It was more of an imperial amber, its good but not what i was expecting after last years batch. It seemed to have a more pronounced hop profile last year.

i wasn't too impressed with this years batch, it didnt have enough flavor from the hops. It was more of an imperial amber, its good but not what i was expecting after last years batch. It seemed to have a more pronounced hop profile last year.

It IS an imperial amber. You know that right?

I thought my first bottle of the year was a little less hoppy than i remembered. Then I opened it at the same time as Pliny, Sucks and Hopslam. It was plenty hoppy. What an awesome beer.

Disagreed. This years was the best I've ever tasted it in the past 4 or 5 years. It's less fruity/peachy, and has more of that dank Tomahawk and piney Simcoe focus. Drier than usual too, which I appreciated. Nugget Nectar is supposed to be a very Hoppy Imperial Amber / Quasi-IPA... not a sweet/cloying malty amber.

Disagreed. This years was the best I've ever tasted it in the past 4 or 5 years. It's less fruity/peachy, and has more of that dank Tomahawk and piney Simcoe focus. Drier than usual too, which I appreciated. Nugget Nectar is supposed to be a very Hoppy Imperial Amber / Quasi-IPA... not a sweet/cloying malty amber.

I agree 100 percent. NN is the beer that put me over the top obsessed for craft beer about 5 years ago. I’ve bought a case every year since and this year’s is by far the best I’ve had. That says a lot especially considering the palate adjustment that like for many others has progressed over the years on me (i.e. Stone IPA, DFH 60min, SN Pale Ale, etc. is not the same as I remembered tasting it for the first time).

The first keg of this batch is just starting to be fully carbed, and I have to say that it is VERY close, at least to me, my wife, and my beer drinkin buddy (disclaimer: none of us are BJCP judges or anything). We tasted it side by side with relatively fresh NN, and other than the haze and slight lack of carbonation, it is pretty spot on. I do think that my version may have slightly too much nugget taste and could benefit from the palisades or similar floraly type flavor addition. I was somewhat anticipating this, that’s why I didn’t dry hop with Nugget but I think that was a band-aid I wont use when I rebrew this. I’ve included my probable substitutions below in red.

I decided to tweak the couple different ones I've seen on here with what I had on hand and what I typically like in IPAs, so don't expect this to be a clone, more of a cousin or rude uncle.

Fwh to get a smooth bitterness. 94 IBU calculated but the real thing doesnt taste that bitter. There's some trickeration going on with those trogner bros. If I calculate as a 20 min addition ibus are around 70 which *feels* right.

I didn't have any warrior or Columbus so I went with all nugget, simcoe, and Amarillo in the boil. I may put some nugget into the dry hop too, well see. I figure even if its not the real thing I can't go wrong with that hop schedule.

Grain bill I believe is damn close based on preliminary tastes and color comparison. I did a side by side real thing vs primary sample and the only difference between the two was mine was a little yeasty (expected). There is definitely a lot of Vienna in the real deal.

Keep in mind this is 11.5 gallons to the fermenter.

Recipe: 00014 Nugget Nectar 2013 Clone
Brewer: Kevin
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.29 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.48 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 94.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
23 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 78.6 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.8 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.5 %
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 63.1 IBUs (Drop to 2 oz, no FWH)
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 19.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 5.0 IBUs
2.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs (Drop to 2 oz, Add 2 oz of Palisades/Willamette/other floral variety)
3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs (Substitute for 2 oz same floral variety, 1 oz Nugget)
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 29 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 37.56 qt of water at 171.2 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.55gal, 2.55gal, 2.55gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

Hey, all...I've been following this thread and have read through all the posts, trying to tweak a recipe. I've noticed that, while people have noted the Bros claim there's 80% Vienna, most of the recipes here have Pilsner malt in its place. So, I'm wondering which to go with as the biggest % . Has anyone brewed both ...one with Vienna, one with Pils as the biggest %? thanks

Hey, all...I've been following this thread and have read through all the posts, trying to tweak a recipe. I've noticed that, while people have noted the Bros claim there's 80% Vienna, most of the recipes here have Pilsner malt in its place. So, I'm wondering which to go with as the biggest % . Has anyone brewed both ...one with Vienna, one with Pils as the biggest %? thanks

I think I might give the Pils a try since I've already done the Vienna... but it wont be until this Fall when I rebrew it.

Ok, so I brewed this Sunday:
BIAB--my first! Got the bag from Wilserbrewer here
Did a 4.2 gal batch, b/c the grains and water wouldn't quite fit in my 10 gal pot; as my first BIAB, 4 gal better than 5, in case it didn't turn out well!
Used two helpful links:
http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

So I tweaked the recipe based on all of the recipes here...(thanks all for posting!)

9 1/2 # Vienna
1 1/2 # Pilsner
1 1/2 # Munich
1 tsp gypsum
(Duh, I meant it to be 9.5. 1.5, 1.5, but little confusion @ the home brew shop!)

3/4 oz nugget pellet @ 60 min
3/4 oz simcoe leaf @ 20 m
3/4 oz columbus leaf @ 15
3/4 oz warrior pellet @10
3/4 oz palisades leaf @ 5
3/4 oz nugget leaf @1
3/4 oz nugget leaf -whirlpool 20 min

US-05

dry hop: nugget, (prob) warrior

60 min mash @ 154
10 min mash out @ 170
75 min boil

1.050 pre-boil gravity

1.080 measured OG (Looks like 80% efficiency!)
99 IBU
8.3% abv

color looked great; test flask tasted promising
fermentation is heartily underway @ 65 degrees!

2 weeks primary; 2 secondary in keg, dry hop, carb, enjoy....

That looks like a pretty good stab, doomXsaloon! Congrats on your first BIAB recipe! Sounds like youre on your way to a good clone!

Just drank one of mine today. I used the recipe from the one of the original threads, the 2-row/Vienna/Munich/Crustal 120 recipe. Even though I only got about 6.5%abv, it's very similar to the real thing. Turned out great and it's going fast!

image-710134593.jpg

Back