My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post ohcrap. Love me some Ireland. My college soccer coach was from Dublin and we got to do a tour of Ireland for preseason one year. We trained at the national team training grounds and played 5 matches with some professional teams around the country. Of course they were probably reserve teams, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. Something that I will never forget and it will always be a part of who I am. I will say, we drank just as much as we played that preseason. Drinking plenty of guiness in the players lounge at the stadiums after every game. Love the Luke Kelley video's. The first video is so bada$s, that is some country! I really like all of them though.

Here is some more country to keep this bad boy going:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post GD! This song is one of my favorites. Just a couple legends getting together talking about another legend!

There was a thread earlier today that asked something like, if you could drink a beer with anybody past or present who would it be? My first answer was my dad and brothers. Runners up? Waylon, Hank and Johnny Cash!

Definitely Indian Outlaw by Tim McGraw. Why? Because even though it's lame and old it reminds me of being 18 and working at a winery for 6 dollars an hour. No responsibilities and nothing to lose.

Dan,

Thank you for starting this thread. I just stumbled into it after ignoring it for a while because I don't like modern "country" music. Haven't had time to go through the entire thread yet, so I don't know if this has already been posted. Are you familiar with the back story to "A Boy Named Sue"?

Shel Silverstein wrote the song and got into a disagreement with Johnny over credit for it. I don't know exactly what the disagreement was about, but years later Shel wrote "A Front Row Seat to Hear Ole Johnny Sing" as a gesture to get together again.

You're welcome ChuckO!

Thanks for the post and the history behind the song. I'd never heard it before and probably wouldn't have put two and two together even if I did.

Hope you enjoy the thread, there's a lot of good music here. Some of it is not country, mainly my fault. I got bored a few times when the thread slowed down. Think I even put some Queen in here somewhere. :D. But 95% of the music is country.

Feel free to post more songs!

Cheers!

Dan

Chucko, that was a good one, never heard that track. i was lost at first, but the song grew on me as it went. great song writing there. I always listen to the blues on sunday nights, kind of a tradition for me since i can remember, but i'm going to keep it country here.

"This ones for the workin man" since that ***** monday is coming around in the morning.

Okay folks, got to admit I have tears streaming down my cheeks right now... Hold on, let me tell you why.

In 1987, I was a Second Class Petty Officer Aircraft Electrician's Mate stationed on the the best Navy aircraft carrier in the fleet. The USS Midway, CV-41.

My ship anchored that Christmas eve a few miles off the coast of Oman.

This was 1987 remember. A USO show flew out to our ship. The big name was none other than Bob Hope! (I think he was in his early 80s), The Solid Gold Dance Girls, Barbara Eden (I dream of Jeanie) and Lee Greenwood.

The video I'm going to post happened on the forward hangar deck on Christmas eve 1987 on the USS Midway (or USS Neverdock as we called her, we were at sea the most part of every year)

Around three and a half thousand guys (no women on ships back then) were packed into the bay. Let me tell you brothers and sisters it was a great show! I felt I was now part of history. Bob Hope! That guy had been a USO legend since WWII and he was with us that night.

Don't know how many of you remember the Solid Gold Dancers.. just let it be known they were a bunch of hot chicks in tightly fitting very short dresses and danced. Might be more to the show but that's about all i remember about them. :D Anyway, they put on a good performance. (Hey! We were Sailors who had been at sea for many months)

Bob Hope of course was the star of the show. He I suppose hosted the show. Didn't spend a lot of time on stage, like I said he was in his 80's at the time, but he was there.

Jeanie (Barbara Eden) was still pretty freaking hot back in the late 80's and I have no idea what she said or talked about. I really doubt many others who were there remember either.. She was hot, hot.. HOT! As I recall. :D

The last guy on stage was Lee Greenwood. He had become pretty famous for his song "God Bless America" by then, and he brought it to us out there on our ship, during a day's rest while anchored off middle eastern shores.

The next day the USO show left, we were again underway and life was good.

Here it is.. I was an aircraft maintenance guy. I'm the one in a green longsleeve jersey. :D

Peace!

Looks like a rowdy crowd dan! Love this thread.

Some Woody Guthrie, for all the hard travelin souls out there.

Garage Dweller thank you for this post.

I've had a pretty good life.. recently has become difficult and scary.

Like this song you posted, it's sincere and honest.

Thank you

And now I'm going to fall back on the greatest country sound I know. I can't help but love my wife with my heart and soul...I've been an ars&hole and we are going through tough times. Not because we don't love each other.... stupider crap really.

Here is a song I've played a few times before, same motivation. To my girl who I love so much but do not live a life to makes her happy... I'm the world's #1 Ass!

dan,
we are only men, and therefore, guilty by association. my dad used to tell me, "its not always easy to be a man, but you've got to be one at all costs." Don't know the specifics, but I have my fair share of arguments with the ol' lady. Its the beauty of life ya know. Like all those hard times were actually the good times looking back. I think of the times in my life when I was lonely and poor and those were the times I had the whole world in front of me. Hope everything turns out for ya and I hope everyone has a great labor day weekend.

Hard Times in the Country

We need good ol' USA again. Small business and localized economies. Seems like the only thing we export out of this country nowadays is weapons and our soldiers. Here's to seeing things thru the simple mans eyes and to more simple times to come.

No work tomorrow, and cheers to the country thread and the workin' man.
Anyone familiar with an oklahoma boy?

(EDIT - This is a bit of a rant. Just reread today and well... I guess I was feeling a bit philosophical when i wrote it. :drunk:)

These next videos don't qualify as country music. However, I like the artist and instead of posting on a new thread thought I'd put some of his songs here.. Forgive me please. I do not mean that in a sarcastic way.

This is some music I wouldn't have listened to probably, if not for my daughter.

I heard this today only because my 18 year old daughter plugged in her Iphone to the car's stereo. We were on a two hour drive back to home from heaven.. We spent the weekend at Pismo Beach CA.

So, I could be breaking the thread rules, but seriously doubt that. Cause here in "My Favorite Country Songs" thread, there really are no rules except one. - Share nice music. :D.

I also listened to some of her rap songs. My opinion? Quite a lot of foul language, however, the songs' meaning had some interesting, I'd even say thought provoking concepts. I do have a favtorite rap (artist?) thanks to my daughter who introduced me. Little Wayne.

Profanity abounds in LW's music, and he can be a bit vulgar.. so is truth. But the guy appeals to me, he's pretty deep if I get past the swear words find his words honest and profound.

My daughter is a good girl and quite religious. Her faith is much stronger than mine. I find myself in awe at her strength sometimes. I really do. That must be kind of weird. She listens to the music, ignores the foul language and just hears the concept.

So as I said this aint country music, and I haven't found a rap song yet I'd share. But music whether it be rap, classical, or as they said in "The Blues Brothers", we have both Country and Western, or it be some Rock and Roll it is somebody's creative outlet and there for us to enjoy.

It helps us get through the day, through life. I think God decided man should have music so it became one of our needs, not a luxury. We need music as much as we need oxygen to breath and live life.

Staying on topic because this is a beer site for goodness sake. Going to say a few more words about God and beer. He gave us water, grain, hops and yeast. What we do with them and how we do it might be a bit different for each of us but in the end... it's life!

I'm posting some songs from Trevor Hall. Truly wish he wouldn't do the "echo" thing; the songs my daughter played today didn't have that echo but I couldn't find them on YouTube.

An accoustical guitar, my son plays one quite well. Makes me seek music in the life that I dwell. :D

Great posts everybody thanks for keeping this thread on track. Left up to me it's would be a complete mess. Thanks for all the great country classics. Wouldn't have known about some of them with out all your inputs! :mug:

I'm about 100.1% positive I put this up before and not even sure if it qualifies, but love these guys.

And forever what reason started thinking of Hank Williams Senior and the Williams family. Here's a tribute from the son and grandson to Pappy Williams.

"here's a little masterpiece of nonsense I wrote a coupla years ago. 3 years ago. a lot of folks request this for other folks, nobody probably ever hardly request it for themselves" - Hank
Unionrdr..... Epic post!

Also, Great post dogbeats. That sound should be what people consider "new country" as opposed to the garbage that you hear mainstream. Why don't they play this on the local country radio station? Is there a law against real musicians on the radio today? He may not be "new" but I've never heard of the guy. When i look for new musicians I can find tons of good stuff, but never hear them locally on the radio.
To the best music thread on HBT!!

This ones probably a repost...Still a good one for the weekend

Kind of Country, but a band worth checking out if you don't know them.

Hope everyones having a good weekend. brewday tomorrow! :tank::rockin:

GarageDweller thank you for another great post! I always look forward to seeing what you post next. Thanks man, sincerely.

Dan

Say you were stranded on an island (with the girl of your choice ;)) but had the ability to listen to only one singer, come hail or highwater.

Who would it be?

Me?

Waylon Jennings

Merle Haggard. I see and hear Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson and Hank Williams Jr in his voice and appearance. If my ear's aren't deceiving me, he says a thanks to Willy

Mostly, I hear Willy Nelson in Merle Haggards voice. Honestly I don't know who influenced who more. Either way they both are incredible.

Say you were stranded on an island (with the girl of your choice ;)) but had the ability to listen to only one singer, come hail or highwater.

Who would it be?

Me?

Waylon Jennings

The harder i think i can't answer this question. Makes my head hurt to even think that hard. It would have to be someone who had a very extensive number of albums so you wouldn't go too crazy listening to the same thing over and over. You know, thinking even further, having to be around the same damn woman everyday without any other people to interact with would drive me nuts too. hah. Its kind of like what my brother did. Moved to key west with his ol' lady and got married and then divorced. As my friend in 4th grade used to say, "lifes a beach!".

Not a huge fan of the islandy country music, but i do know that country music is all about open spaces. That includes the ocean. Keepin her rollin.

:rockin:

Dan said:
(EDIT - This is a bit of a rant. Just reread today and well... I guess I was feeling a bit philosophical when i wrote it. :drunk:)

These next videos don't qualify as country music. However, I like the artist and instead of posting on a new thread thought I'd put some of his songs here.. Forgive me please. I do not mean that in a sarcastic way.

This is some music I wouldn't have listened to probably, if not for my daughter.

I heard this today only because my 18 year old daughter plugged in her Iphone to the car's stereo. We were on a two hour drive back to home from heaven.. We spent the weekend at Pismo Beach CA.

So, I could be breaking the thread rules, but seriously doubt that. Cause here in "My Favorite Country Songs" thread, there really are no rules except one. - Share nice music. :D.

I also listened to some of her rap songs. My opinion? Quite a lot of foul language, however, the songs' meaning had some interesting, I'd even say thought provoking concepts. I do have a favtorite rap (artist?) thanks to my daughter who introduced me. Little Wayne.

Profanity abounds in LW's music, and he can be a bit vulgar.. so is truth. But the guy appeals to me, he's pretty deep if I get past the swear words find his words honest and profound.

My daughter is a good girl and quite religious. Her faith is much stronger than mine. I find myself in awe at her strength sometimes. I really do. That must be kind of weird. She listens to the music, ignores the foul language and just hears the concept.

So as I said this aint country music, and I haven't found a rap song yet I'd share. But music whether it be rap, classical, or as they said in "The Blues Brothers", we have both Country and Western, or it be some Rock and Roll it is somebody's creative outlet and there for us to enjoy.

It helps us get through the day, through life. I think God decided man should have music so it became one of our needs, not a luxury. We need music as much as we need oxygen to breath and live life.

Staying on topic because this is a beer site for goodness sake. Going to say a few more words about God and beer. He gave us water, grain, hops and yeast. What we do with them and how we do it might be a bit different for each of us but in the end... it's life!

I'm posting some songs from Trevor Hall. Truly wish he wouldn't do the "echo" thing; the songs my daughter played today didn't have that echo but I couldn't find them on YouTube.

An accoustical guitar, my son plays one quite well. Makes me seek music in the life that I dwell. :D

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip06RKbV8GY

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ywiu9r-sv0

You're in my neck of the woods if you were at Pismo

Who would it be?

Me?

Waylon Jennings

Johnny Cash here, for a litany of reasons... one being his voice can convey so many emotions - sorrow, love, and a general sense of bad-a$$ery... :ban:

Not a Haggard original, but still a good tune. I'm sure you all know this one.

This is one of those songs that is just referred to as "traditional" because so many people have played it.

Since I'm on that track with cover songs here's another old one. There must be 1000's of versions of this song, but I love the blues, so here's some country blues.

The taps are pouring nice at small axe brewery tonight. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
:mug:

Garage Dweller, wish you and your family were around here in California. Be pretty cool to have a family BBQ and play some (well, I'd have to play a CD or something) tunes.

It's a great day today.

Back