Cream Soda Recipe with vanilla extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, cream of tartar is a much better acidifier for cream soda than lemon/lime juice or citric acid; it's a much more 'creamy' acid bite than the sour bite of citrus/citric acid.

In my experience, cream of tartar is a much better acidifier for cream soda than lemon/lime juice or citric acid; it's a much more 'creamy' acid bite than the sour bite of citrus/citric acid.

How much? One for one replacement for citric acid?

It ended up being sweet but I adjusted the recipe, as well there was a little tang to it so I eased up on the Citric Acid. Next time I would like to try simmering some vanilla beans in a brown sugar syrup. I also have been toying around with the idea of using Honey for the main sugar.
This recipe Yields 5 gallons force carbonated.

Ingredients:

Sugars:
8 lb Cane Sugar
8 oz Maltodextrin - for a good full mouth feel
1 lb Lactose - For a creamy flavor. (This is used in milk stouts)
Flavoring:
2 tsp Citric Acid
12 oz Clear Imitation Vanilla
Liquid:
5 Gallons of your favorite purified water.

Dump all sugars into 3 gallon pot with 1 gallon water. Bring to a low boil and wait for liquid to turn clear. KEEP BELOW 180 DEGREES. My syrup ended up a little golden, I plan on fixing this in the next batch, I think the malt or lactose ended up burning quicker than the cane. So I will try a lower temp.

Chill with wort chiller, Add citric acid when reasonably cool, maybe in the 100 degree range. Force carbonate at 50psi, I rocked the keg and was able to get the carbonation level up in less than an hour.

Creme Soda.jpg

After reading this thread for fun, I had to mix it up tonight! our 9 year old will be surprised when I tell him he has his own drink on tap! I'll keep it a secret until its ready to try.

I used a mix of sugars.

2 lb brown sugar
1 lb 13 oz white sugar (all I had in the house... Need to go shopping)
1/2 c honey
2 oz maltodextrin
4 oz lactose
Mixed with RO water to make 1 gallon. Warmed up until all sugar dissolved and it turned clear.
1 1/2 tsp citric acid (was a bit much, next time will try 1 tsp)
4 oz Penzey's single strength Vanilla extract
Enough RO water to bring volume to around 3 gal. I kept adding water until it was the perfect sweetness level for us, which is probably less that what would be expected. Threw in keezer on CO2 around 32 psi.
I plan on shaking and hope to have it carbed up in a few days.

It tasted really good, but hindsight is 20/20, and I think if it's well received & I make it again... I will go with 2-1 white sugar to brown sugar, and maybe 3/4 cup honey. With of course cutting down the citric acid to 1 tsp.
Color was a beautiful rich light gold. I'll post up a pic after its ready.

EDIT: after it chilled and carbed, it was still a little "off" from how I intended. I mixed up another 2 lbs of white sugar and 1 1/2 gal water and added that to the "brew". It foamed up pretty well as I was pouring the new sugar water in, so hopefully there is no negative side effect from that. That brought the volume up to almost 5 gal. I'll update with tasting notes after it finishes carbing.

It ended up being sweet but I adjusted the recipe, as well there was a little tang to it so I eased up on the Citric Acid. Next time I would like to try simmering some vanilla beans in a brown sugar syrup. I also have been toying around with the idea of using Honey for the main sugar.

Ingredients:

Sugars:
8 lb Cane Sugar
Flavoring:
2 tsp Citric Acid
Liquid:

Dump all sugars into 3 gallon pot with 1 gallon water. Bring to a low boil and wait for liquid to turn clear. KEEP BELOW 180 DEGREES. My syrup ended up a little golden, I plan on fixing this in the next batch, I think the malt or lactose ended up burning quicker than the cane. So I will try a lower temp.

Chill with wort chiller, Add citric acid when reasonably cool, maybe in the 100 degree range. Force carbonate at 50psi, I rocked the keg and was able to get the carbonation level up in less than an hour.

Made this recipe today, except I used the colored vanilla. The kids LOVED it.

Made this recipe today, except I used the colored vanilla. The kids LOVED it.
I am working on a plane jane carbonated soda today and am glad my last recipe made people happy. My kids loved it as well and it was a hit among friends. I want to see how much of a difference the lactose and malt made when aiming for creaminess. At the least I can add flavors to make irish soda out of this.

Today I am doing the following (very plain but will mix it up in the future)

10 lb Cane Sugar

Flavoring:
2 tsp Citric Acid
Liquid:

Making this today with my daughter. She can't wait to try it....:ban:

What temperature should it be force carbonate (slow and steady) at 50psi? :confused:
I force carbonated at room temperature because I wanted to rock the keg and get the C02 up to level before I lifted it into the keezer, then chilled. Really doesn't matter which way you do it.

Has anyone tried a Perlick Flow Control flow faucet for kegged sodas? I was thinking that would allow me to throw on the occasional keg of ginger ale with out having to have a second 15 foot beer line.

I force carbonated at room temperature because I wanted to rock the keg and get the C02 up to level before I lifted it into the keezer, then chilled. Really doesn't matter which way you do it.

You would be better off chilling the keg, then attaching the CO2 and shaking, Cold water will hold much more CO2 than warm

Great recipie. Does anybody know if this would be able to be turned into a hard soda? Wife has been looking for me to make some home made hard cream soda for a while but never got around to looking it up. Not really looking to just dump liquor into it, would like to actually ferment if possible.

Make a small batch and throw in a little bit of vodka and see how it tastes.

I have been toying around with making a fermented soda. My thought was to use the recipe I posted earlier and after the boil I would throw some champagne yeast in or some sweet mead yeast. Maybe EC-1118 or K1-V1116. If you do this use some yeast nutrient or raisins to feed the yeast.
You will want to determin how much sweetness you want in the end.I would recommend back sweeteining with inverted sugar flavored with your soda flavor.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2010/05/how-to-make-invert-sugar/

Ingredients:

Sugars:

8 lb Cane Sugar

Flavoring:

2 tsp Citric Acid

Liquid:

A huge fan of Jones!!! Will try this version soon! Thanks a ton!

I made a take on this yesterday.

3gal batch
32oz light brown sugar
32oz light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon non sweet koolaid lemon aid
teaspoon vanilla extract

Kegged and carbed. Came out pretty good. All the kids liked it.
Will probably try it with vanilla bean next time.

Been brewing beer for a couple years now and really was looking for a good Creme Soda recipe. Here is the one I designed this morning after reading this forum and several others.

Ingredients:

Sugars:
8 lb Cane Sugar - EDIT: Adjusted from 12 - the lactose and Malt added a lot more sweetness than expected.
Flavoring:
2 tsp Citric Acid - EDIT Adjusted from 4, too much of an acidic aftertaste.
12 oz Clear Imitation Vanilla (working on making a Jones style look) - EDIT I Adjusted from 4 to 12, imitation vanilla just doesn't have the potency.
Liquid:

Chill with wort chiller, Add citric acid when reasonably cool, maybe in the 100 degree range. Then add Vanilla to taste after this. There is a lot of sugar in here so I am going to be liberal my first time around with the vanilla. So I am planning on 4 oz. (calculated by how I make frosting 1 tsp per lb of sugar, there are 12 lbs here with no extra butter, 6 tsp to an oz, double that to make up for the lack of 6 cups o butter :)

I will try to put feedback here on how people like it this evening. I will rock force carbonate at 50 psi and my water is pre-chilled so I am hoping for drinkable carbonation in 4 hours.
12 oz of imitation vanilla.... is that extract??

Back