Hop replacement please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
My Christmas brew calls for Target (10%) and Goldingsbut my LHBS is out of the Targets right now. From the list below what shoud I replace them with? I can get the Goldings BTW.

Challenger
Fuggles
Hallertau Mittelfrüh
Spalt select
Tettnanger

Thanks

Tim

I'd use Fuggles. You'll have to use more, mind, but it's more stylistically appropriate.

Not that you're going to be tasting much of any Fuggles characteristics, but it'd make me itch to use Spalt or Tettnang to bitter an English style of beer. :D

Bob

If you can get Goldings, why not use those for bittering as well? Keep it English, and usually a higher AA% (usually 6-ish%) than the Fuggles.

It would depend on when the addition is, 60minute vs. 5 minute. If it's the bittering addition use whatever high AA hop you want. If it's near the end keep it British. We are assuming it is British beer with those hops.

I am sorry, I should have stated that it was for the bittering, 60 min. it is a Belgium/Brittish style brown that I am using as the base for my Christmas Brew. I might just go with all Goldings, I will run the numbers later and see how it comes out, but I am only shooting for about 18-25 IBU.

Tim

Latest posts

Back