2 batches and 2 FG's the same, both high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
So I first did an amber ale SG .052 and it ended at .020 even after rousing the yeast and warming the temp and so forth.

2nd I am doing an Oktoberfest with an SG of .049 and it is stopped at .020 after 2 weeks. I roused the yeast yesterday but it's kinda suspicious that both brews stopped about 5 points short of where they should have.

Does anyone have a possible explaination? I checked my water and my water is a .001 so that accounts for one point but otherwise I'm stumped why I'm falling high consistently. I guess to be fair I used Windsor yeast on both brews, that might explain it.

I would check your mash temps. If you aren't mashing at the correct temps you could be getting a lot of unfermentable sugars in the wort. I have had this happen to me twice before that's why I use a few thermometers when mashing to make sure I have the correct temp. I had a digital one that was way off, cause my mash temps to be too high.

Sorry, LOL

Give us the yeast and fermenting conditions. IE fermentation temps, when did you pitch, did you transfer to secondary?

More info is needed.

alrighty, well, the first one I'm guessin' I pitched around 80ish maybe a shade lower. I transfered to secondary after 12 days after hydrometer remained constant for 3 days. Fermentation temps remained constant at around 66-70.

The second batch I pitched at 75. The next day the temp of the beer skyrocketed to 79 degrees due to A/C breaking and yeast was very active. I cooled it down as quickly as I could with a towel and water and fan to 72 then once the a/c was back on it is at a 68-70. It's still in primary but I'm thinking by wed. I'm gonna transfer to secondary. It will be 2 weeks and 3 days on wed.

I would say its either your pitching rates or amount of unfermentables. If you are using a lot of LME in your recipes you would have more unfermentables then if you were using DME. Also check mr maltys and check how much yeast your pitching. If you dont already begin the practice of making starters.

It seems like I have been preaching this in my last few posts but I was running into the same problem a while back.. i was coming up short on all of my FG's.

I spent about $55 and bought an oxygenating stone, regulator and a oxygen tank and I oxygenate my wort before pitching for about 90-120 seconds. I haven't missed a FG since (out of about 20 batches)

It seems like I have been preaching this in my last few posts but I was running into the same problem a while back.. i was coming up short on all of my FG's.

I spent about $55 and bought an oxygenating stone, regulator and a oxygen tank and I oxygenate my wort before pitching for about 90-120 seconds. I haven't missed a FG since (out of about 20 batches)

+1, if you siphon from your brew pot, make sure the wort is cooled down and let it fall a few feet into your fermenting vessel. That works for me :)

Back