MD Spring Brewday What to Brew Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we want to brew

• Lets all brew the same exact thing

• Lets brew the same thing, but different hop additions

• Let me brew what I want to

• I don't care, I'm just showing up to drink beer and watch/learn

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ill do whatever, I think it would be cool to try what flytac sez (everyone brew with diff hops) but I don thtink everyone will go for that, so maybe we can do whoever wants to do that, and if you dont want to then jsut brew whatever!

well it looks like only 5 of us are gonna figure out what to brew in advance.....

so if anyone else wants to take bre, they can do what they want! so what do the 5 of us who voted wanna do?

I was talking to Draconian and I suggested an Octoberfest, but then he was quick to point out that it's a lager.....so, I'm down for whatever

I've never done a wit. Will we be able to see variations in taste with a wit? You know, different hop times and yeasts?
I'm all in for whatever.

Different hops, times, spices, etc.

While orange and corriander are common, you can do lots of things to change it up.

We could also do Saison as well. :)

It would be cool to brew a few (of any 1 type) out of the recipe DB, then have another brewday in like june/july and everyone brings back 12 of the beers and we review the recipes and report our findings!

I'm not going to make any decisions about recipe, I have to figure out how to spend a couple grand on toys thanks to the sweet tax return....I'm all out of decision making ability

I say you guys all brew pretty much the same thing and trade brews in a few months. It would be a great way to compare the differences in beers created with different techniques(fly vs. batch, etc)

But, since I am obviously not coming...dowatchalike!

Your opinon has been duly noted and heartily rejected. Thanks for playing. :cross:

I think that's sorta the idea behind my idea of trying a bunch of recipes from the database and seeing which ones perform and which ones dont. I would only do that with certain styles though, as something like IPA is too wide to compare some of the more subtle differences.

But, with something like a Wit (which is great for our summer refreshment as well) there's likely much less wiggle room. Ok, one recipe uses .5oz corriander, another uses .75oz, etc etc.

Might I add - if we pick very similar recipe style that uses a lot of a single style base malt, we can probably get a bag of grain cheaper than we can get it buying by the pound, saving everyone some cash.

yeah, thats the point. ill do whatever.... i tend to like the hopppy beers and my fans like the stouts.... but i would like to try something new, i could be sold real easy on a belgian.....

The one thing I haven't gotten good at is planning ingredients for lots of recipes.

Out of those who are coming (where is the final count anyway?) I really don't care what we brew, it's gonna be fun either way...someone *cough* just man up and say lets just do this, blah blah blah

If we are willing to do the Wit idea, then I'll step up and do it. Let me know how many different total recipes needed and what quantity, and I'll put em into Beersmith and set up a shopping cart.

So, if nobody objects vehemently by after lunch (1pm east time time) I'll go ahead and do it.

So I started working on this and there are about 5 recipes from the database for Wit.

All use the same standard ingredients (Pilsen, Wheat, Corriander, Orange Peel). There are minor variations of hops, amount of corriander and orange peel, and some have slight amounts of other ingredients.

So this should be a good test of brewing all of the near same brew and only having slight variations of recipes to see how different the end result really is.

Good news: We're at almost 30 pounds each of Pils and Wheat (for about 30 gallons of brew), so it might be worth it to consider buying a whole bag and figuring out who wants any of the leftover - that is, if we have any left over pending the amount of people that show up.

MD Homebrew has 55lb bags for about $50. I've got a mill that can crush as fast as my drill can spin it. Get a list of people and ingredients and I'll arrange with MDHB to have it all ready the Friday before.

Giddy up! I'll get a firm ingredients list once we get a total number of people.

Let's wait until officially on Friday the 11th and I'll come up with the order by then. Will that give you enough time to have it ready on the 18th/19th, flytact?

Get me the bulk grain quantities ASAP so I can reserve them early. I've been there before when they've been out of certain stock. After that, the preceding Monday should be fine.

Ok, here is what we need for ~25 gallons (3x5g batches and 1x10g batch). I've got coriander and orange peel already from the bulk grain buy. Who wants to grab what? Do we need more of anything in case we want to do more brew?

Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 0.38 lb 0.00 lb
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 1.50 lb 0.00 lb
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.50 lb 0.00 lb
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 lb 0.00 lb
Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 21.50 lb 0.00 lb
Cascade (5.50%) Hops 1.00 oz 0.00 oz
Goldings, East Kent (5.00%) Hops 1.00 oz 0.00 oz
Hallertauer (4.80%) Hops 0.90 oz 0.00 oz
Saaz (4.00%) Hops 1.00 oz 0.00 oz
Styrian Goldings (5.40%) Hops 1.50 oz 0.00 oz
Cinnamon Stick Misc 1.00 tsp 0.00 tsp
Coriander Seed Misc 1.10 oz 0.00 oz
Coriander Seed Misc 3.25 tsp 0.00 tsp
Cumin Misc 0.50 tsp 0.00 tsp
Orange Peel, Bitter Misc 3.43 oz 0.00 oz
Orange Peel, Sweet Misc 0.18 oz 0.00 oz
Seeds of Paradise Misc 2.00 tsp 0.00 tsp
Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 1.00 lb 0.00 lb
Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast 2.00 Pkgs 0.00 Pkgs
Belgian Wit II (White Labs #WLP410) Yeast 1.00 Pkgs 0.00 Pkgs
Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast 1.00 Pkgs 0.00 Pkgs

Can someone foot the bill and order everything, and we'll just chip in? I can grab the yeast and get those cultures going?

I think fly mentioned grabbing grains and running them through the crusher. I don't have mine yet, or I'd take care of that angle.

Fly has malt
98 has yeast
Jez has spices/recipes

Who has hops? Clap?

I won't be anywhere near a brewshop between now and then, so I'm out for that, but I have all the spices at the house. I'll check to see if I have the candi sugar as well, as I usually have at least a pound in stock at any given time.

Can you find a substitute for the Styrian, I can guarantee you can 't get it. Also, Saaz has been coming in around 2%. Actually, get me substitutes for the Haletauer, Styr. and Saaz in case they are not available.

It will be about the same price to up the amounts to 55lb bags of the wheat and pilsner.

If possible, I'd like to order tomorrow and pick up sometime next week. I'll pay for it all and divide the cost by X.

Now, we are brewing 5 batches of beer and 9 people said yes to the 19th. Let's get a hard number.

jezter6 said:
Ok, here is what we need for ~25 gallons (3x5g batches and 1x10g batch). I've got coriander and orange peel already from the bulk grain buy. Who wants to grab what? Do we need more of anything in case we want to do more brew?

Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 0.38 lb 0.00 lb
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 1.50 lb 0.00 lb
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.50 lb 0.00 lb
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 lb 0.00 lb
Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 21.50 lb 0.00 lb
Cascade (5.50%) Hops 1.00 oz 0.00 oz
Goldings, East Kent (5.00%) Hops 1.00 oz 0.00 oz
Hallertauer (4.80%) Hops 0.90 oz 0.00 oz
Saaz (4.00%) Hops 1.00 oz 0.00 oz
Styrian Goldings (5.40%) Hops 1.50 oz 0.00 oz
Cinnamon Stick Misc 1.00 tsp 0.00 tsp
Coriander Seed Misc 1.10 oz 0.00 oz
Coriander Seed Misc 3.25 tsp 0.00 tsp
Cumin Misc 0.50 tsp 0.00 tsp
Orange Peel, Bitter Misc 3.43 oz 0.00 oz
Orange Peel, Sweet Misc 0.18 oz 0.00 oz
Seeds of Paradise Misc 2.00 tsp 0.00 tsp
Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 1.00 lb 0.00 lb
Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast 2.00 Pkgs 0.00 Pkgs
Belgian Wit II (White Labs #WLP410) Yeast 1.00 Pkgs 0.00 Pkgs
Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast 1.00 Pkgs 0.00 Pkgs

Well, if we get a whole bag of pils and wheat, at least we can do more if we need em. Although we won't have enough in the way of hops or yeasties. :p

Hallertaer - Try Crystal
Styrians - Try Willamette or Fuggle
Saaz - Spalter or Tettnanager

How's this? This should be enough to run a few more recipes than 5 if needed. I'll bring as much spice/orange as I can. How far is Annapolis Homebrew from 98 if we need to run out and get something? I'm concerned that we don't want to over-buy hops, but if more people show up and want to brew, we'll have to go get more.

Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 0.5 lb 0.00 lb
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.00 lb 0.00 lb
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 9.0 lb 0.00 lb
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.00 lb 0.00 lb
Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 55.50 lb 0.00 lb

Then don't worry about it much. Get the grain bill above (maybe buy the pale in a 10# bag if it's cheaper than buying 9 individual pounds). We can always run over to visit if we need emergency supplies.

On a side note since we're talking hops and this has NOTHING to do with brewday. I made a stout with bramling cross a few months back, and I absolutely love that hop. Nice currant/fig undertone. Made for a very nice brown stout.

All the recipes on here say flaked. That's what I'm going by.
Check out the Wit recpies in the database and see for yourself if you don't believe me. :)

Back