Any tips for night brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I have to brew outside in the dark tomorrow night, which I've never done before. Is there anything I need to keep in mind? Boil overs aren't going to be an issue. I have to admit I won't be comfortable not being able to see everything, but its either that or no beer...

Get a work light.... don't trip over the burner.. umm... dont freeze? Its supposed to be 22° tonight, 25° tomorrow night and snow.

I brew outside at night much of the time. Its not any different from brewing during the day, really. I have pretty good lights on my deck so I can see everything. I do find that a small flashlight will help me read the thermometer. After the boil I take my pot inside to cool, transfer to primary, and pitch.

I usually wait until the morning to dump the spent grains in the compost pile. Its pretty dark and spooky in my yard at night...:drunk:

Let the neighbors know what you are doing, serious questions might arise if they see you standing over a boiling cauldron after midnight.

Seriously, I can't think of anything other than having plenty of light and keeping warm which were already mentioned.

Stop at a sporting goods store and pick up a headlight. It will attach right to the brim of your cap.

I will probably get the work light going since there are no other lights. I also have the head light already from hiking/camping. Staying warm shouldn't be an issue. I was just wondering how important it is to be able to see everything...

McKBrew said:
Let the neighbors know what you are doing, serious questions might arise if they see you standing over a boiling cauldron after midnight.

It may be more fun to let them wonder what the hell is going on :p

Practically all of my brewing sessions lately are done at least half after dark, since sunset is so early in the winter and I never get a real early start on brewing. Hasn't really been a problem for me, and all I use is a small flashlight.

How much of your brewing process is outdoors though? In my case, I have my propane burner outside to heat water and do the boil, but my mashing and chilling is done indoors, so there's not much hands-on work to be done outside.

Funkenjaeger said:
Practically all of my brewing sessions lately are done at least half after dark, since sunset is so early in the winter and I never get a real early start on brewing. Hasn't really been a problem for me, and all I use is a small flashlight.

How much of your brewing process is outdoors though? In my case, I have my propane burner outside to heat water and do the boil, but my mashing and chilling is done indoors, so there's not much hands-on work to be done outside.

Thanks, that's assuring compared to my situation. I will be doing everything outside except mashing/chilling as well...

Hey get one of those Spelunking (sp?) headlamps. A good one. That way you'll have it, and those things are INVALUABLE for many projects.

You just missed a full moon by a few day. It will still give you lots of light at its current stage. Find out when it rises then strike the burner.

Gammon N Beer said:
Stop at a sporting goods store and pick up a headlight. It will attach right to the brim of your cap.

+1

I do a lot of fishing and hunting. The cap lights are great. Both hands are free and you have light right where you look.

BierMuncher said:
Work in a nap during the mash.

I love napping while my mash is...uh...mashing. :D

But do not repeat during the boil. ;)

You're gonna nap for like 6 hours one time, wake up at 5am, and say "****!" :p :p

I don't know about night brewing but my garage looks the same any time. Ok Ok... clean up in the dark, the hosing of mash tuns and such is a pain in the dark. It is only made worse by the sub freezing temps where the water basically freezes on its way to the ground.

Bobby_M said:
I don't know about night brewing but my garage looks the same any time. Ok Ok... clean up in the dark, the hosing of mash tuns and such is a pain in the dark. It is only made worse by the sub freezing temps where the water basically freezes on its way to the ground.

Yeah, I need a garage :mad:

sirsloop said:
It may be more fun to let them wonder what the hell is going on :p

Ya but it would suck if the SWAT team shows up because there was a report that he was cooking a batch of Meth.

sirsloop said:
Get a work light.... don't trip over the burner.. umm... dont freeze? Its supposed to be 22° tonight, 25° tomorrow night and snow.

Consider yourself lucky, they're saying -10f to -15F here tonight.

I have to move my setup, because in warmer months the bugs went to the light right above the brew kettle (not good because some made it into the kettle). Something to remember, which I never do.

I recommend a pentagram and a couple dead chickens just to add to the excitement of brewing at night.

Thanks, that's assuring compared to my situation. I will be doing everything outside except mashing/chilling as well...
I got a late start monday and had some freezing issues with my CFC, and the wort ended up in the primary at 50 degrees (I started the flow 5 min after flame out) I got a monster cold break, but had to warm the wort for a few hours before pitching

GaryA said:
I recommend a pentagram and a couple dead chickens just to add to the excitement of brewing at night.

Now that's just damn funny right there! :rockin:

Scimmia said:
Consider yourself lucky, they're saying -10f to -15F here tonight.
Hell it's -20 here with the wind chill now. And it's 11am!

OT: Scimmia, what part of the QC? I'm originally, well kind of still am from there.

Back