root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
I couldnt find a Recipe for root beer- Id like to make some for myself and the kids.

Ive read that post 1960 is made with more wintergreen. Anyone have any suggestions? I plan on force carbing in a keg

Try searching for "root beer". I know that there have been a number of recipes posted ;).

I use

1 tablespoon extract
1-1.5 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon of yeast

mix it in a 2ltr bottle and give it a few days to carb

If going 5 gallon corny keg and force carbing it's 1 bottle of extract (4oz) and 3-4 pounds sugar (to taste). mix it, carb it, drink it.

I like Zatarain's root beer extract myself if you want to make it from scratch all I can say is use google I've seen them before but one of the roots used in the old recipes can't be purchased now due to carcinogens you gota go dig it up yourself, and it looked like a huge pita to me.

oooo crap- I mustve read my directions wrong- put 1 table spoon of yeast in it.

Will my bottles explode?

in a 2ltr bottle? dunno, just keep an eye on it, if I had to guess I'd say it'd carb quicker and probably taste more yeasty.

FWIW they'll all explode if you let em ferment too long, so dont use glass, if you do use glass toss a couple raisins in each one, they float when its carbed.

Damn- the yeast ate all the sugar so the root beer taste like very light rootbeer water. lol

back to read the directions

well keep in mind when using yeast they will eat some of the sugar so you want it slightly sweeter than what you like when you add the yeast, do a few batches and youll get it figured out

I've made root beer using Hires extract. I also found this link:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/ROOTBEER_Jn0.htm
I used 5# of sugar for 5 gallons, even though the recommendations were for 4# of sugar. I haven’t been able to find any of the original Hires root beer extract, only this: http://rootbeerextract.net/
Which isn’t the original. The original was in a rectangular bottle and had brown vertical stripes. (The ones on eBay are a lot older).

Well I just made 2 2liter batches-

One with 2cups bakers sugar and one with raw cane sugar.

see how this goes and hopefully it doesnt explode like that last one

How long does this take to carb? I've got the idea to make some for people for christmas. Will it be ready in time if I do it this weekend?

mike

Back