Grain by the 50# sack options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
I searched but got so many hits which were unrelated, or out of date, I gave up. I know many buy grain by the sack locally, but my LHBS wants $2.50 ($2.95 in lesser amounts) a pound, plus sales tax for Marris Otter for one example. What are the online suppliers which offer decent deals on cost/shipping for buying grain in larger quantities such as by the 50-55# sack? TIA.

Any group buys in your area? I think I pay 75cents a lb for MO.
Nope, not that I know of. NW Arkansas is not a hotbed of the home brewing world. Best I saw online was $1.15 for two row and I know shipping to here would be steep from Oregon.

I haven't looked into grain sacks at the LHBSs here, but I can't justify $3.25+/oz for hops. Liquid yeasts were over $8/pop.

Just bought ten ounces of hops for like $10 at BMW and 6 pounds for less than $67 shipped in a group but.

You might just have to order as you need from an online shop that has flat shipping rate . At least your grains should be fresh.

Nope, not that I know of. NW Arkansas is not a hotbed of the home brewing world. Best I saw online was $1.15 for two row and I know shipping to here would be steep from Oregon.

Isnt NW Arkansas the home of Basic Brewing Radio? If so, doesn't Steve Wilkes have a homebrew shop there? I thought they said he did once, I could be wrong. I tend to:mug: while listening.

LabRatBrewer said:
Isnt NW Arkansas the home of Basic Brewing Radio? If so, doesn't Steve Wilkes have a homebrew shop there? I thought they said he did once, I could be wrong. I tend to:mug: while listening.

Yes indeed. It is actually Andy Sparks who has the LHBS there, The Home Brewery, and their base grain prices seem reasonable...
http://www.thehomebrewery.com/Merch...en=CTGY&Store_Code=THB&Category_Code=UNCGRAIN

Absolutely love the podcast. James Spencer does an excellent job, and Steve Wilkes is hilarious...

I searched but got so many hits which were unrelated, or out of date, I gave up. I know many buy grain by the sack locally, but my LHBS wants $2.50 ($2.95 in lesser amounts) a pound, plus sales tax for Marris Otter for one example. What are the online suppliers which offer decent deals on cost/shipping for buying grain in larger quantities such as by the 50-55# sack? TIA.

Buy you a sack or two Saturday from Austin Homebrew. Heck of a lot cheaper and free shipping !

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_71_425_426

I'm working my way through 50 pounds of Briess 2 row pale ale malt that I got from Cornykeg.com. I think it was about $50 and only $7.99 flat rate shipping.

They crushed it to perfection and it came in 5 - 10# bags. A lot less than what my LHBS quoted.

OMO

bosco

Buy you a sack or two Saturday from Austin Homebrew. Heck of a lot cheaper and free shipping !

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_71_425_426
With shipping at the basic rate AHS is asking 1.92 Per LB. Not really much of a bargain for a bulk buy. Have you looked at the local feed suppliers? They can probably add whatever you need to an order for a much lower price. You might have to add an extra step. or clean the gran a bit. But it will be much cheaper and more in line with olde skool brewing practices. You will get grain exactly like our ancestors used in their brewing process. Imagine Geo Washington trying to buy pre malted, pre ground, pre cleaned, ready to brew ingredients, NOT happenin. Worth a look at least if your really into the hobby. Just my .02, but I am Olde Skool till I die, so it makes perfect sense to me out here on the lunatic fringe. Hope this at least makes you aware of other alternatives to getting your eyes poked out at the store or online.
WCB

With shipping at the basic rate AHS is asking 1.92 Per LB. Not really much of a bargain for a bulk buy. Have you looked at the local feed suppliers? They can probably add whatever you need to an order for a much lower price. You might have to add an extra step. or clean the gran a bit. But it will be much cheaper and more in line with olde skool brewing practices. You will get grain exactly like our ancestors used in their brewing process. Imagine Geo Washington trying to buy pre malted, pre ground, pre cleaned, ready to brew ingredients, NOT happenin. Worth a look at least if your really into the hobby. Just my .02, but I am Olde Skool till I die, so it makes perfect sense to me out here on the lunatic fringe. Hope this at least makes you aware of other alternatives to getting your eyes poked out at the store or online.
WCB

Geo W. didn't have toilet paper, fringe. ;) How far should we take this "back to basics" thing? [man I wish I could malt my own grain though, that would be cool]

Yes indeed. It is actually Andy Sparks who has the LHBS there, The Home Brewery, and their base grain prices seem reasonable...

Not bad, but with local sales tax it will still be $1.36 per pound for pale and $1.94 for MO, plus about $10 worth of gas. No easy answer I fear.

I'm working my way through 50 pounds of Briess 2 row pale ale malt that I got from Cornykeg.com. I think it was about $50 and only $7.99 flat rate shipping.

They crushed it to perfection and it came in 5 - 10# bags. A lot less than what my LHBS quoted.

OMO

bosco

Yep, I can get two row for just at a buck a pound including shipping. Best deal I have found, thanks.

FYI: here is what I came up as to costs for the cheapest 2-row available. (including discounts at BW, free shipping Sat. at AHS, free ship at Morebeer, and normal ship. at 50#sack and Corneykeg, and sales tax @LHBS)

Brewmaster's W. $69.99 ($1.40 per pound)
LHBS $68.15+gas ($1.36)
Austin Homebrew $65.50 ($1.31)
50#sack $62.00 ($1.24)
Morebeer $60.25 ($1.21)
Corneykeg $50.94 ($1.02)
Still not group buy good, but better than I was for sure. Thanks fellows.

Geo W. didn't have toilet paper, fringe. ;) How far should we take this "back to basics" thing? [man I wish I could malt my own grain though, that would be cool]
I think I am gonna use some precleaned stuff and experiment with malting grain on the side till I develop the skill I need to make the switch to 100% home malted ingredients. I figure as I improve I can add the home malted stuff to my current grain bills and see how they turn out. Could be a ton of fun if it works fairly easilly. I mean how hard can it be if it was happening accidently and brewing was a way to convert the grain to a condensed and portable asset? Wish me luck with my ongoing experiments.
WCB

Also if you bulk buy on www.fifypoundsack.com you get $10 off for 2 sacks ($100) and $25 off for 3 sacks ($200 if you buy Pilsner or anything but basic 2 row). That takes my Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt from $2.25 a pound other places down to $1.10 a pound!!! Half price!

I think I am gonna use some precleaned stuff and experiment with malting grain on the side till I develop the skill I need to make the switch to 100% home malted ingredients. I figure as I improve I can add the home malted stuff to my current grain bills and see how they turn out. Could be a ton of fun if it works fairly easilly. I mean how hard can it be if it was happening accidently and brewing was a way to convert the grain to a condensed and portable asset? Wish me luck with my ongoing experiments.
WCB

good luck!

I'm in Bentonville and would love for a group buy sometime. I can't make it Fayetteville for the Flops meetings, but do go the Home Brewery once a month or so. Anuway in Rogers I feel is way to high on grain.

Plus I just found this really cool link on Beersmith: http://beersmith.com/blog/2009/12/05/malting-barley-grain-at-home/ So it looks entirely doable without too much other junk involved. Figure a week to roast and malt a 50 lb sack and store it like the rest of my malted ingredients. Could be a way cool way to make some old style brews with local ingredients. Hmmmm, thinkin out loud again, gotta stop that because it always cost money in the long run...

WCB

This discussion crops up in a thread about once a month. Shipping is what kills the whole discussion of bulk malts, not the price of the malt itself....and the shipping's not going to get any cheaper. If you're fortunate enough to have access to someone who gets in pallets shipped by truck freight, and maybe doesn't have to run a storefront to sell it, then you're golden.....Missouri Malt Supply comes to mind. They have a variety of products, and have managed to wangle a way to sell them with limited open hours off someone's loading dock. But if we're talking about buying from a regular LHBS or from an online supplier who's shipping that sack of 2-row by UPS or FedEx, I'm afraid we're just wishing for something that's not gonna happen.

:off:
It's sort of analogous to air travel. Find a place selling plane tickets that breaks out the price of the actual fare the airline gets from all the taxes, fees, airport "recovery" costs, what it costs to have TSA x-ray your ass, etc. It's a real eye-opener. Then fly to that same airport and pick up your rental car, and check how they nail you going away with another list of the same kind of charges for the privilege of picking up your car at the airport (or just compare the same rental car company's total price at the airport and with the car picked up in the nearest city).

WCB

If you should happen to find a cheap source of unmalted barley, please let me know. So far, all that I can find costs more than malted barley!

I'm in Bentonville and would love for a group buy sometime. I can't make it Fayetteville for the Flops meetings, but do go the Home Brewery once a month or so. Anuway in Rogers I feel is way to high on grain.

Hi there. Let me know if you come up with something. Anuway is the one which had MO at $2.95 a pound......

Don't hold me to this, but I THINK you can get single bags from the Country Malt Supply group... I called Great Western's bagged malt order desk and that is where they directed me. Country Malt is part of Great Western/Canada Malting and is a craft brewery supplier that sells malt from various sources such as Great Western, Briess, Bairds, Fawcett, Best, etc. as well as hops, yeast and chemicals in commercial sizes. Even though I am in Alabama, I was directed to call the Champlain, NY office. # is 888-368-5571 Get a pdf of their price lists emailed to you and check it out.

I buy 10lb bags of American Pale Malt from morebeer @ $10.15 a bag (free shipping on this stuff when you order over $59). So I buy 5 10lb bags and a 5 lb bag. I add a couple sachets of yeast and it's all delivered to my doorstep in VA all the way cross country for free for about $60. Not as good as group buys but pretty good.

Back