SMaSH recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineknot

Reaction score
Good evening everybody! I was just wondering if any body had any favorite SMaSH recipes. This will be my 1st all grain batch so I'm looking forward to getting to know some malt. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

I learned that I didn't like Marris Otter by doing a SMaSH. It is a pretty good way to figure that kind of stuff out.
Pick a base malt and a hop and go to it!
Cheers!

worksnorth said:
I learned that I didn't like Marris Otter by doing a SMaSH. It is a pretty good way to figure that kind of stuff out.
Pick a base malt and a hop and go to it!
Cheers!

Funny, just the opposite, I did the same and almost use it in every beer as my base.

I brewed my ever-changing house IPA again and this time has been my favorite.

5 gallon recipe

14 lbs 2 Row

Mash:
95* 20 min, 130* 20 min, 150* 50 min

Cascade Hops:

2oz in the kettle as I am sparging
1oz 60 min
1/2oz 45min
1/2oz 30 min
1oz 15 min
1oz flameout

Ferment @ 68-70 with US-05

After 1 week rack into a keg. Dry hop 1 1/2 oz in a stainless herb ball. Crash it to 33* at 40-45 PSI. Turn it down to 15 PSI and start drinking. Or if you actually have patience let it carb over a week at a lower pressure lol.

Its normally in a glass on the 8th day. Love it, love it.

Curiosity: what changes have you made in earlier versions, and with what results?

Curiosity: what changes have you made in earlier versions, and with what results?

Version 1

11 lbs 2 Row
1 lb C-20

Same mash schedule as above

Cascade:

1oz FWH (In the kettle when I am running IS that a FWH?!?)
2oz 30 min
2oz 15 min
2oz Flame out

Primary 2 weeks US-05 70*

Ver 2

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb C20
1 1/2 lbs White Rice (Just rinsed in a colander with hot water)

Single rest at 150* 60 min

2 Oz FWH
2 Oz @ 30 min
2 Oz @ Flameout

US-05 1 Week

14 lbs 2 Row

Mashed @ 90* 20 min, 120* 20 min, 150* 60 min

2 oz 30 min
2 oz 15 min
2 oz Flameout

No dry hop, no FWH

US-05 1 week

City water NO buffers

14 lbs 2 row

90 min rest @ 155*

2oz 60 min
2oz 30 min
2oz 15 min
2oz Flame out

1 1/2 oz dry hopped in the keg

US-05 1 week

Version 4 should have stayed in the keg a lot longer. I don't know if it was the city water or lack of a step mash but the yeast just didn't want to floc out fast.

I am on a quest for fastest and cheapest grain to glass beer and I think I am just about there lol.

That rice beer is something to try. It was my second favorite IPA I have made so far.

Belgian Pilsener and Centennial is lovely, particularly if you use a Belgian yeast strain. Kinda like a Belgian IPA (Stone Cali-Belgie, GD Belgica etc) but slightly herbal and "dank".

maris otter/cascade was awesome
as was dark munich/northern brewer (with cali lager yeast)
also have a marris otter/legacy smash barleywine that should be delicious in six months

I brewed my ever-changing house IPA again and this time has been my favorite.

Mash:
95* 20 min, 130* 20 min, 150* 50 min

I'm curious why you're using a Beta and Sach rest, since the entire grain bill is 2-row. I won't knock results, but have you tried just a single infusion at 150?

To the OP, I've only done one SMaSH.

10# Munich

1 Whirlfloc @ 15 min

S-05

0.5 oz. Chinook @ Mash
1 oz. Chinook @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Chinook Dry Hop 7 days

If I were to re-do it, I'd switch the hops to this:

1.25 oz. Chinook @ First Wort Hop 40 min
0.5 oz. Chinook @ 5 min
1 oz. Chinook Dry Hop 7 days

I've used both Mash and FWH techniques now. I wasn't terrifically impressed with mash hopping, but FWH is amazing. Also of note, the only reason I used Chinook was I got some local leaf hops while home in Asheville, NC. I'd love to do a Citra SMaSH.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll start off with 2 row & amarillo. 2 row seems to be a pretty common base malt. Next one I'll play with is Marris Otter.

I like German malts -- perfect for a SMaSH if you are unfamiliar with them. I would also recommend not doing 5 gallon batches, while they are good brews, I consider SMaSH brews to be more educational so I prefer 1-2 gallon batches. I even do them on the stove which really would be perfect since it's your first AG batch. Usually a 6-pack is all I need to get the hop and malt profile down with my palate. And since it's stove top, I can do 2-3 batches at the same time.

Vienna and Simcoe was delicious. I'll probably make a legitimate recipe with that as the base.

Munich and Cascade was really different but still enjoyable. German malt and the American hop really shows the difference between the two general styles.

My next one will probably be Bohemian Pilsner and Vanguard but I haven't done the recipe yet.

Making my first SMaSH this weekend. German Pilsner/CTZ.

12.5# Pilsner mashed at 152F

Boil for 60 min, Whirlfloc @ 15min

14.00 g CTZ [12.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 2 8.7 IBUs
21.00 g CTZ [12.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 10.4 IBUs
28.00 g CTZ [12.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 10.4 IBUs
35.00 g CTZ [12.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 10.8 IBUs
42.00 g CTZ [12.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs (whirlpool for 20 min)
56.00 g CTZ [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs (cap off fermenter for dh)
Yeast: American Ale (or whatever you want!)

Haven't brewed this before, but I've got a pound of CTZ in the freezer that's been on my mind...

I'm a little bummed my HBS didn't have amarillo. I went with 2 row & palisades. 1st all grain batch was fun. I got some great ideas from you guys for future endeavors as well. Thanks!

I did a SMaSH saison with Maris Otter and Citra. I fermented it out with 3711 and Brett B. (5112), both pitched at the beginning at ~66 F and leaving it at 68-70 F for 5 weeks. It got down to about 1.003 (after ~ 5days; starting was 1.054), and was about 7% ABV. I bottled it at 5 weeks, and it was a kick to the gut after 2-3 months, at least for me. At ~ 5 months, I entered it in a local competition and the fricking thing won the saison category. It's very dry, and slightly tart now. It's not really my favorite beer, but I guess I have to brew it again. I mashed 5.44 kg of maris otter at 148, did a first wort hop with 1 oz citra (90 min boil), then added 1 oz portions of citra at 10, 5, and 0 min.

When I brew this again, I will probably do a dry-hop near the end of the primary, and I might mix in some amarillo. I'm also wondering about when to add the Brett B. I might add it 12-24 h after pitching the saison yeast, but that could totally change the character of the beer (I might like it better, but beer judges may not, lol). Anyway, it was easy and fun to brew. I wish I had a few more bottles left, because it got to be pretty good after 3-4 months in the bottle. Conditioning was really slow, though. I was terrified of bottle bombs, and added enough sugar to each bottle for maybe 1.3 volumes. It wasn't enough, at least for the first 2-3 months in the bottle. I re-opened about half the bottles and added a gram of sugar (~1 vol) to each and re-sealed them. They were good in a couple weeks. The others actually turned out ok after 4 months in the bottle. I guess the Brett kept chewing stuff up.

Brewed my first Smash recipe last week with Maris otter and Columbus. I just racked it to the secondary and threw 2 oz for dry hopping today and the sample tasted pretty good. This is my first time using Maris Otter so we will see if I like it or not.

Back